Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protect yourself.......simple defensive street moves
The spare wallet is a good idea Smile.

Ever the pacifist; I carry a pocket knife at all times, and I remain mum on whether my dog mace is actually for dogs or not. I may or may not be looking into tasers (most firearms and tasers are illegal in Canada, boo).

It is important to know how to defend yourself. If you're attacked, gouge out those eyes, pull that hair, who cares about fighting fair with someone you don't want to fight in the first place...

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I was mugged once, 3 guys walked up from behind, one put the muzzle of a gun to my head and 'asked' me for my wallet, money, etc. I found that in that case compliance was perhaps the best bet.

My mistake, I was dressed nicely and walking through a dark, isolate place by myself at night. I had walked that area lots of times before dressed in jeans and t-shirt and looking like a product of the street, that night I was wearing slacks, dress shirt, nice jacket.... I looked like upper middle class white dude who got himself lost.

Confrontation with a person who is robbing you/mugging you is an all around bad idea.

Understand that most are either very hungry, or withdrawing from their drug of choice. They are already desperate and have reached a point where they are willing to do things which most innocent people are not ready to do.

Most robbers/muggers and others who commit face to face crimes like these spend a bit of time psyching themselves for the confrontation. This usually isn't a crime of passion or a crime of the moment, they sit/stand there watching potential victims and picking one from the herd. In that time they 'talk' themselves into carrying through this crime.

Most are armed, knifes are very popular, but some carry a firearm. Understand when you realize you are being robbed/mugged you are being confronted by a person who is already ready for confrontation and has considered that they will harm/kill the victim if need be. You are most likely thinking about the latest episode of Walking Dead, or having fond thoughts of your SO or something totally unprepared for being in a confrontation.

Self defense teachers stress that in cases of mugging/robbery its usually best to comply calmly to the 'requests' of your mugger/robber. Playing hero leads to injury and death.

Self defense is for when you are physically assaulted. Most muggers ain't looking for confrontation - meaning a fight, they are looking to use shock and the threat of injury to get money and get away.

I believe umbrella swords/cane swords are actually illegal, and if you are stopped by the police and they find out you end up more a criminal as much as a would be mugger....

The fake wallet is the best idea, instead of leaving it empty, leave about ten dollars in dollar notes, and have old/expired credit cards in it, or use those fake credit cards that always arrive in the junk mail. Make the wallet look like its a real wallet, a lot of muggers will open the damn thing while there, if they see empty they know whats up.

And stay out of the bad areas of town unless you are actually dressed/act like a thug yourself... Seriously, skinny white boy was able to walk through the Tenderloin at 2 AM because he wore ripped jeans, stained t-shirts and looked like a crazed meth addict... Crazed meth addict ain't bothered unless other meth addicts think you have product.
That fake wallet trick actually sounds like a cool idea, thou that would mean I would have to stop wearing my leather chain wallet a lot, and quite frankly I don't know if that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make yet:biggrin:

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I was mugged once, 3 guys walked up from behind, one put the muzzle of a gun to my head and 'asked' me for my wallet, money, etc. I found that in that case compliance was perhaps the best bet.

My mistake, I was dressed nicely and walking through a dark, isolate place by myself at night. I had walked that area lots of times before dressed in jeans and t-shirt and looking like a product of the street, that night I was wearing slacks, dress shirt, nice jacket.... I looked like upper middle class white dude who got himself lost.

Confrontation with a person who is robbing you/mugging you is an all around bad idea.

Understand that most are either very hungry, or withdrawing from their drug of choice. They are already desperate and have reached a point where they are willing to do things which most innocent people are not ready to do.

Most robbers/muggers and others who commit face to face crimes like these spend a bit of time psyching themselves for the confrontation. This usually isn't a crime of passion or a crime of the moment, they sit/stand there watching potential victims and picking one from the herd. In that time they 'talk' themselves into carrying through this crime.

Most are armed, knifes are very popular, but some carry a firearm. Understand when you realize you are being robbed/mugged you are being confronted by a person who is already ready for confrontation and has considered that they will harm/kill the victim if need be. You are most likely thinking about the latest episode of Walking Dead, or having fond thoughts of your SO or something totally unprepared for being in a confrontation.

Self defense teachers stress that in cases of mugging/robbery its usually best to comply calmly to the 'requests' of your mugger/robber. Playing hero leads to injury and death.

Self defense is for when you are physically assaulted. Most muggers ain't looking for confrontation - meaning a fight, they are looking to use shock and the threat of injury to get money and get away.

I believe umbrella swords/cane swords are actually illegal, and if you are stopped by the police and they find out you end up more a criminal as much as a would be mugger....

The fake wallet is the best idea, instead of leaving it empty, leave about ten dollars in dollar notes, and have old/expired credit cards in it, or use those fake credit cards that always arrive in the junk mail. Make the wallet look like its a real wallet, a lot of muggers will open the damn thing while there, if they see empty they know whats up.

And stay out of the bad areas of town unless you are actually dressed/act like a thug yourself... Seriously, skinny white boy was able to walk through the Tenderloin at 2 AM because he wore ripped jeans, stained t-shirts and looked like a crazed meth addict... Crazed meth addict ain't bothered unless other meth addicts think you have product.

Im one of those people who's gonna kill them or die trying.

So, they stick a gun in your face.......and you hand over your wallet. Whats to stop them from shooting you in the face anyway? If you fight, at least you have a chance.

People have seen enough "kung fu" movies and Die Hard movies to know at least a couple of moves that would help you out in a situation like that. And I bet most people have seen some kind of self defense video or tv show at one time or another.

I worked with one woman a long time ago who said she faked an epileptic attack when she got mugged. The shitbag didnt know what to make of it, so he ran.

You just gotta figure out what will work for you.

And I tell people to aim for the eyes, because you dont need much pressure to blind them for enough time to run a couple of blocks.

Fuck the police and the so-called "law"........*I* am going to protect myself, because those wastes of tax payers money sure aren't!!!!!

I always like to carry my sharp pointy umbrella with me, whenever it's not ridiculkously sunny out.

I think you just feel much safer having a vaguely stick shaped thing in your hand for beating people up if they attack you.

Where I live, unless you're licenced, you can't carry anything like a weapon so things like penknives, swordsticks etc. are totally out of the question. If you have no weapon, not even keys, a hard punch to the sternum of your assailant, will also have a deterrent effect.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams