Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QSAs
I was more active my last two years of undergrad. Now more active in the graduate group where the focus is not on us but rather on how we can serve the local lgbt health issues/needs.

As part of the GSA we would have poetry reading nights, bbqueer, coffee bar socials, bonfires, that kind of stuff. But it is one of 40+ lgbt subgroups at my uni so we had a lot of cross group support. Besides the fun/social stuff we also had serious topic seminars on partner domestic abuse/violence, testing, political issues, etc.

The feature I liked best about our larger lgbt group was the peer-to-peer support. Our sponsor put a lot into training volunteers to be confidential mentors. It was for people who were not at a point where they could comfortably come out but they could get support and talk to someone around their age.

I made some really good friends. I hope you can get your group going. Confusedmile:

ChrisD Wrote:Ehh it seems like they don't really do much that I consider fun or productive. Like I said, they have Acoustic nights (music and poetry) every once in a while, so I might go to one of those but other than that it don't look too great. Besides, I don't really have time to join another group.....

What do they do?

I've never been to a GSA or QSA group. Are there really ever any S's that show up? I can't imagine there'd be many straight people who would take time out of their day to go to a QSA/GSA meeting.

Wade Wrote:I've never been to a GSA or QSA group. Are there really ever any S's that show up? I can't imagine there'd be many straight people who would take time out of their day to go to a QSA/GSA meeting.

Actually I've been to a few glbtq Hui (meetings) and there are a surprising amount of straight guys. It's cool.

Joshular Wrote:Gosh I'm poos at writing emails...
But I might end up running a GLBTQ youth group.
EXCITED!!!

That is really awesome Josh! Big Grin

Joshular Wrote:What do they do?

As far as I can see, they sit around and talk about God- knows- what when they meet (and I don't know how regular the meeting are) and they go to True Colors day and go around hugging people. They also do the day of silence or whatever, oh and then there's ally week, when they try to get people to stop using "gay" and "fag" as insults....like that works lol.