Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qualified for my dream job
Ditto on all the congratulations. It's good to be able to serve the common good.

Congratulations , well done.Xyxthumbs

[Image: congratulations_comment_02.gif]

Congratulations and good luck! Confusedmile:

Congratulations! Bounce

Congratulations!

Now then, before you rush off to this new job, what protection are you using?

Having done the whole 'public services' type jobs I strongly suggest you start setting up a therapist to help you to deal with the emotions you will feel from the job NOW. I made the mistake of not 'wearing protection' and ended up hurting a lot.

Caregivers of any sort end up rapidly burning out, becoming jaded becoming depressed, and various other things - like the drug counselor who never used in his life suddenly turning to drugs to deal with his issues over dealing with the issues of drug addicts.

Get a hobby - something that is not remotely related to drugs (and possibly not even remotely tied in with lots of people) something that you can do in your off hours to unwind, relax and let go.

Learn the symptoms of 'burnout' and keep them in mind. Set a day each week to really look at yourself to catch the early symptoms. http://www.caregiver.com/articles/caregi...urnout.htm is a good start.

You can't help others if you get sick yourself. Be good to yourself.

Thanks for the advice Bowyn aerrow. I have a key worker at work who I can talk to of it all gets too much. I walk a lot in our national park to relax after work. I have also joined a writing group as its a big dream off mine to write a book. Confusedmile:

Congratulations!

I always wanted to be a counsellor/ mentor for kids having difficulty adapting to Japan or having troubles growing up in a mixed cultural environment.
But I dont trust myself to be strong enough to not be effected by the people I want to help, so I stay away from it as a career path.

If you ever need to vent etc, GS should be a great place for you to come for moral support and keep your mind sane.

Good luck!

Thanks Gizzie it's a hard job and very hard not to effected by the clients problems. I just switch off when I have finished for the day.