Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Queensland Civil Unions
Finally there is a shift towards common sense in Australia with Queensland joining parts of Australia in a baby step towards same gender marriage.

"
GAY couples are preparing to line up outside the Brisbane registry office on Thursday to sign up for the state's first civil unions. That's when the Civil Partnership Act comes into effect, with the first ceremonies able to take place on March 5.
It will give gay couples the same legal rights as married couples.
The move comes after gay couples who dined with Prime Minister Julia Gillard at the Lodge last night say she acknowledged gay marriage in Australia was inevitable.
Equal rights advocate Phil Browne says that while changing the Marriage Act would be ideal, civil unions are a step in the right direction." - read the rest of the story here

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queen...6278515463

hello,
This is a good move in thje right direction.. I am a big believer in life and let live. Of course there will be prejudice throughout the world but in todays society its about time that we as people acknowledge the truths of the world and move in the right direction and put behind our tudor/victorian issues that was once created... So many people before us have suffered enough in their life times and this shows at long last that their judgement is finally getting reconised for what it should be.
I am at times worried about getting a civil partnership with the guy i love and have been with for the past six years but only because of how my dad and mums marriage went tits up. I however feel that this is now a free right towards gays and lesbians in australia feeling as though they are equal to the rest of the community and to be honest i think despite gays and lesbians not allowed to have a ceremony in a church it wouldnt matter to them as long as they have a right in the eyes of the land to feel equal....

Kindest regards

zeon

The comments on those sites are pretty disturbing. Think there was 1 or 2 positive comments the rest was negative responses. As Bowyn Aerrow quoted on some threat
Quote:I frown on a society that pays men millions to get into a ring and beat the crap out of each other, then hang young men on fences to die because they want to hold hands with another man.
pretty much shows what kind of society we live in and how disturbing the human mind can be to support violence but not simple and pure love. But its great to see Australia taking the next step to acceptance Confusedmile:
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

Yeah, it's just more of the same...The detractors are going to the first to spruik their hatred, fear and misinformed opinions. The reality is the MAJORITY of Australian support same-gender marriage.

Awesome stuff .

Those who is against something might not be in high numbers but they really stand out from the rest Smile
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

Meanwhile Saint Petersburg in Russia outlaws any talk of homosexuality, to the point of shutting people up through a coercive law, alas!!!

That is so true Zet Wink