Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Kids
ok this has always been bugging me but ive never seemed to ask it.

in a same sex relationship, where they have kids.

What do there children address them by?
like dad and daddy?

this has been stuck in my head for a long time.
anyone want to shine some light? Bouncer

That is such a good question, I really wish I could answer it. I suppose they could call one parent mom, what would be the problem????:confused::confused:

With one lesbian couple I know, their 3 year old without being taught to, started calling one Ma and the other Mommy. He had a clear idea that Ma was one and that Mommy was the other. He picked the names he liked and 'assigned' them to his mothers. He made a choice and stuck with it. Ma remains 'Ma', Mommy has become 'Mom'.

A male couple I also know who adopted a 9-10 year old were called by their first names for the longest time. Their girl finally decided to call one Daddy and the other Dad. Daddy is also called 'mom' when daddy does something we don't like. :tongue:

I think that this is pretty typical. The kids have no distress or confusion, even the really wee ones get a firm concept that one parent is one word, and the other parent is the other.

Hello there,
I am in a gay relationship where a child is also present... My boyfriend has a 15 year old son who I met when he was 11 and he calls me by my name whereas he calls his dad dad... My boyfriend's son calls his dad by his real name when his not there in the room but if he is he calls him dad otherwise my boyfriend goes mad about it... I wouldnt personally want another child to call me dad if it isnt mine... l know in 4 years time when i move from a flat to a house I will be applying for adoption of a child to give a home to and see how parenting unfolds there..

Kindest regards

zeon x

My family has always mixed a second language with English at home. So, I like that second language's form of "daddy" and actually prefer it to the English.

Maybe explore "daddy" in other languages and see if something sounds special? Confusedmile:

I know of one gay couple who adopted and they are refered to by their first names.
Never heard them being called dad.
I guess it depends on the individual family and how they work xD
Great question btw Big Grin

I know furthermore to my post when i met my partners son i didnt ask him to call me by my name or step dad i just awaited until he chose something to call me by that way it avoided dissappointment. l say leave it to the children to decide what they are comfortable with regardless of peoples views

I'm so young yet and have everything ahead but I already want to have kids so much. I'm such a baby lover and I believe I'm gonna be a great father. Sometimes I do something and I think I'm doing it so my kids will have a great childhood and before having them I'd like to be financially stable to give my kids everything what they deserve. I know it's too early but I have thought a lot about my kids.

My boyfriend and me have talked about this topic and we would like to have two kids from surrogate moms so they will be our real children.

About thread I want them to call us dad and daddy or call me daddy K and daddy (first letter of my boyfriend's name) That'll be so cute Smile

Maybe Dad and Papa? Big Grin

I read an article about babies and now I feel like I so want to have a son. My baby will never leave me or stop loving me as my partners have done. Having a child and taking care of him must be the best experience, I'll be happy once I become parent.