Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Jamey Rodemeyer
Bullying has been discussed in GaySpeak frequently since I have joined the forums and it is something that we are passionate about stamping out and reaching out to the victims of bullying.

What can we actually do about it? How can we as a community reach youngsters like Jamie whose stories are becoming all to frequent for our likings?

We have the desire to help and save these victims from bullying and from taking their precious lives away from us, we want to nurture them so they become part of the wealth of our society, SO how do we make a tool that we have at our finger tips (Gay Speak) a first port of call for those desperate enough to take thier lives? How do we reach them before they get to that point of no return?

We all want to be able to do something, so how do we do it? How do we let desperate kids know about Gay Speak and that we can help them?

Lets do something, lets make an impact on youth suicide.

No one should have to hide them selves

Hello,
With regards to making this tool we know as gayspeak be a voice for those amongst us who need help the only way is word of mouth... It is a successful proven method and within time it will get bigger and better... Of course you could go down the road of leaflets and adverts but to be honest who reads them and where would you target for it??? I think if a event is having a LGBT moment then maybe mention it amongst people to put the word out... But be warned as the word gets around you always have the chance of unwanted attention seeking in so as a forum if we go forward with this idea we need to unite together not against each other or anything Smile

Kindest regards

zeon x

Xandor Wrote:True. But it was the 1980s. This town is not very understanding to people who are different. This town was founded in 1950. At that time, if you bought a house, there were rules you had to follow. One rule was no blacks. Either as homeowners or visitors. That rule was recinded in 1961. Homosexuality is taboo here. Even now. The nearest gay clubs are in Philadelphia. We used to have a gay club in a town called New Hope, which is about 15 miles from here. I used to go. But it "mysteriously" burned to the ground in 2005. No effort has been made to rebuild. So yeah, we had gays in high school that were open about themselves, but they were truly taking a chance. I didn't want to take that chance.

Examples like this remind me that we are not humans but animals

zeon Wrote:Hello,
With regards to making this tool we know as gayspeak be a voice for those amongst us who need help the only way is word of mouth... It is a successful proven method and within time it will get bigger and better... Of course you could go down the road of leaflets and adverts but to be honest who reads them and where would you target for it??? I think if a event is having a LGBT moment then maybe mention it amongst people to put the word out... But be warned as the word gets around you always have the chance of unwanted attention seeking in so as a forum if we go forward with this idea we need to unite together not against each other or anything Smile

Kindest regards

zeon x

I was thinking more along the lines of technology, like somehow getting GaySpeak to feature more prominently in searches for 'suicide', 'bully', 'Gay' and words like that becuase I think if a teen is going to look for help, a web search is going to be their first port of call 9 times out of 10 due the anonimity of the internet.

This is really heart breaking Cry