Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP - Lesley Gore
RIP Lesley Gore

Lesley Gore (born Lesley Sue Goldstein, May 2, 1946 -- February 16, 2015) was an American singer. At the age of 16, in 1963, she recorded the pop hit "It's My Party", and followed it up with other hits including "Judy's Turn to Cry" and "You Don't Own Me". She also worked as an actress, and composed songs with her brother Michael Gore for the 1980 film Fame.

Lesley was a junior at the Dwight School for Girls in nearby Englewood when "It's My Party" became a Number 1 hit. It was later nominated for a Grammy Award for rock and roll recording. It sold over one million copies and was awarded a gold disc.

"It's My Party" was followed by many other hits, including the sequel "Judy's Turn to Cry" (US number5] ); "She's a Fool" (US number 5 ); the protofeminist million-selling "You Don't Own Me", which held at number 2 for three weeks behind the Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand"; "That's the Way Boys Are" (US number 12); "Maybe I Know" (US number 14); "Look of Love" (US number 27); and Grammy-nominated "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" (US number 13), from the 1965 movie Ski Party.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

"It's My Party"

"Judy's Turn To Cry"

"She's A Fool"

"You Don't Own Me"

"That's The Way Boys Are"

"Maybe I Know"

"The Look Of Love"

"Sunshine Lollipops and Rainbows"

[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I so love You Don't Own Me

So sad about this.....sic transit gloria mundi.

The woman who gave me the term I use in my advice over and over - "sunshine lollipops and rainbows". She was a great singer, and a kick ass lesbian. Smile

Lex

[MENTION=14580]CellarDweller[/MENTION]
I know this music! I heard by radio, sounds beautifully.

RIP Lesley...I see her on the Quincy Jones Birthday Bash which I watch alot..he produced Its My Party. She is an American Icon in Music...she will be missed.

Her song You don't own me is the intro to a horror film called The Convent....its comedy horror and its fits so well - cant post it as its has blood and gore etc and don't want to scew anyone's memory of her songs - but I ll remember her song in this movie big time