Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainbow flag sadness
I live in one of the most liberal voting counties in the USA, with over 70% approval of the state's same sex marriage vote last year. So this recent news came as a shock.

A gay couple new to my community recently opened a business. The building was once a bank and has a flagpole in front. The new guys flew the American flag with the rainbow pride flag beneath it. Within a couple weeks they were contacted by another local business owner who passed on "numerous requests" from people who wanted the flag taken down. The numerous people preferred to remain anonymous. Unfortunately, being new to the community, the guys took down the pride flag.

The local newspaper posted a letter to the editor online written by another local gay business owner, and it has had more responses than anything else they've ever posted. 50 to 1 in favor of flying the pride flag! It's outrageous that a tiny minority of anonymous cowards made the pride flag vanish. If they don't have the balls to identify themselves, they should shut the f#ck up!

I just ordered 3 flags; one for my shop (down the block from the new gay owned business) and 2 to give to friends. If a few people didn't like 1 pride flag flying, I can't wait until the town is full of them!

[Image: Rainbow-Gay-Schwulenflagge-180x180.gif]

Some

People

are

Cunts!

Pengy
Quack!

Joshular Wrote:Some

People

are

Cunts!

Pengy
Quack!

Everybody has the right to complain, but I still think the complaints should of been ignored.

It would be a little different in the UK.

In some circumstances planning permission is actually required!

On the other hand, we Brits tend not to use our national flag in the same way that you guys do in the USA. I've noticed the Stars and Stripes are almost ubiquitous.

In the UK we tend to see our national flag mostly above or outside public buildings such as Hospitals, Police Stations and Courts or perhaps very large corporate buildings. There are however, very few instances of individuals flying the Union flag from their homes. Some people call it the Union Jack others say it should only be called a jack when flying from the mast of a war ship. It seems the Admiralty had a slow day in 1902 and gave full consideration to the matter and decided that officially the British Flag could be called the Union Jack in any circumstance. They even issued a circular on the matter - good of them! lol

I happen to think that unless you have a particularly large house in its own grounds, a judges lodgings for example, flying the Union Jack from your home looks tacky and makes you appear to look like a supporter of the BNP or EDL.

Flying the Rainbow flag from your home in some parts would be to invite trouble. Many business in the Liverpool Gay Quarter now fly the rainbow flag from a fixed pole at a 45 degree angle, I've noticed. Perhaps the quirky angle gets around the need for planning permission.

We can be such pedantic rule obeying idiots in the UK at times!

Erm.. you don't need planning permission to fly a flag in the UK Laugh

As long as it's a recognized flag; like a countries flag, the lgbt flag, a sports club flag, a house flag, etc - and it's not placed outwith the owners' property, doesn't have adverts, and doesn't exceed a certain amount - for instance you're only allowed one vertical flag atop a building without permission - you're free to place a flag wherever you want. And angles have nothing to do with it lol.

Or at least, that's the case according to the government :3

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy..._guide.pdf

Vigilias Wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy..._guide.pdf

...yes. That proves my point Tongue

"A number of categories of flag may be flown without consent, subject to certain restrictions regarding the size of the flag, the size of characters on the flag, and the number and location of the flags.

Categories of flag that can now be flown...

blah, blah, blah...

The horizontal striped rainbow flag, such as the “Pride” Flag"

And considering the restrictions are simply to avoid having multiple flags jutting out all over the place, it really shouldn't be a big deal. They're allowed to be outside... inside... that's not much of a restriction Laugh And 2 square meters is a perfectly acceptable limit on size.

Geminize Wrote:I live in one of the most liberal voting counties in the USA, with over 70% approval of the state's same sex marriage vote last year. So this recent news came as a shock.

A gay couple new to my community recently opened a business. The building was once a bank and has a flagpole in front. The new guys flew the American flag with the rainbow pride flag beneath it. Within a couple weeks they were contacted by another local business owner who passed on "numerous requests" from people who wanted the flag taken down. The numerous people preferred to remain anonymous. Unfortunately, being new to the community, the guys took down the pride flag.

The local newspaper posted a letter to the editor online written by another local gay business owner, and it has had more responses than anything else they've ever posted. 50 to 1 in favor of flying the pride flag! It's outrageous that a tiny minority of anonymous cowards made the pride flag vanish. If they don't have the balls to identify themselves, they should shut the f#ck up!

I just ordered 3 flags; one for my shop (down the block from the new gay owned business) and 2 to give to friends. If a few people didn't like 1 pride flag flying, I can't wait until the town is full of them!

[Image: Rainbow-Gay-Schwulenflagge-180x180.gif]

Even here people can be horrible. I've lived in or around Seattle my entire life, and I'm still nervous about letting people know I'm gay.

im sure they have worse things going on in their lives yet they still find time to target a proud gay establishment - sad people , whats the worst that can happen !! it falls from the pole, wraps round their face and suffocates them...........wishful thinking on my part lol