Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant: Dentistry - Wisdom teeth
You can kick whatever you like Wink

My wisdom teeth were impacted and I was so glad when I had them removed.
An eye for an eye

I was very stupid in not having braces when I was younger. I had them when I was in COLLEGE, back in 2005. Not kidding.

I had VERY bad crooked teeth. How did I get them? I had the annoying typical wisdom teeth. On my lower jaw, one side had two wisdom teeth growing on top of the other. And of course they were coming in on an angle. I must have lost lots of blood removing the impacted wisdom teeth. Also I drank from the milk bottle for too long, when my teeth were coming in. And when I went to the orthodontist, he also said I needed surgery to correct my underbite - my lower jaw juts out. I refused it.

So, I went to the dentist to pull out two perfectly good teeth on top to make room. And since I refused the underbite surgery, the braces forced my top teeth outwards and my lower teeth inwards. Doing this may have created a crossbite.

What did I get out of the braces? A better "smile" that I am sometimes not proud of, loss of my dimples, I think, weight loss, but a little more confidence.

i had one of four removed, i was awake for the procedure. it was VERY painful. having 1 of 4 out puts things un even, teeth move with time, so dependent on the person you might want all four removed. Actually around here teeth extraction is not an expensive procedure. the dentist actually had to crush the tooth to remove it. he drugged up my face so much i felt i had trouble breathing through my nose

none the less it felt like i woke up the next morning having lost the biggest bar fight of my life. I only had one removed. dont under estimate the prescription drugs.

best of luck

I was born without wisdom teeth. My mom was born with two rather than four, and I, after having been X rayed or whatever by my dentists, have none whatsoever. Never to sprout, never to grow, just not there.

i still have all 4 of my wisdom teeth; then again when I got braces, 4 bicuspids were removed; thereby creating room for all my wisdom teeth

Chase Wrote:I was born without wisdom teeth. My mom was born with two rather than four, and I, after having been X rayed or whatever by my dentists, have none whatsoever. Never to sprout, never to grow, just not there.

I've heard that some people, especially central americans or people aorund that region don't get wisdom teeth. They're apparently more highly evolved or something.

trywait Wrote:i still have all 4 of my wisdom teeth; then again when I got braces, 4 bicuspids were removed; thereby creating room for all my wisdom teeth

This sounds a lot like my story too.

I went to work in the afternoon the day I got my top two wisdom teeth out. My wisdom teeth all came in fine, but I needed to have the top ones out because I had jaw surgery to correct my prognathism (although we ended up going with a lower jaw alteration instead of moving the top jaw forward so that ended up being a waste of time and money). I also had braces in college for the same reason because the surgical correction had to be done at around 20-21 since relapses are very common while the jaw is still growing.

I have three of four wisdom teeth. Yeah I have a big mouth - so sue me :tongue:

The upper right one was removed oh 18 years ago, it was coming in at an odd angle, impacting the back molar and pushing everything the wrong way. I waited until I got a minor infection in the gum which need irrigation or something which required a lot of hard work on part of the dentist. After that I developed regular jaw pain... And a few infections from the damaged back molar that doesn't sit right in the gum.

My point, get these puppies dealt with immediately, do not put it off, or you will end up with a lot more pain and misery in the long wrong.