Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regulating cpu temperature question
So I recently purchased a new laptop, and have noticed that when I'm not doing anything very intensive, the core temp fluctuates between 60 and 65 degrees Celsius.

I can drop this down to about 40-55 Celsius by positioning my desk fan on the laptop...but I'm worried about my core temperature being too high and overheating.

My questions are, what is the ideal core temperature for my laptop, and what can I do to keep it low? My cpu is a Intel Celeron 1.6 ghz is that helps.

Many thanks in advance esteemed techo-geeks! Your wisdom keeps the world running :biggrin:

the lower the better the temperature... I use coolpads for my laptops

coolpad-example

60-65C variation
insignificant; the temperature sensing scheme not that accurate to detect 5deg variation with reference to how the cpu sees temperature and time. For example; in 22 milla seconds if the temperature has risen 155deg part of the cpu will partially toast but not the whole cpu.

wintermoon Wrote:... what is the ideal core temperature for my laptop, and what can I do to keep it low? My cpu is a
google is your friend, if you can find out exactly the cpu model#.
Again the information is going to be dumb ed out. For example a cpu with a core voltage of 1.85 volts will have a different operating range than the same cpu running at 1.90v. The rail voltages for the input output pins have a big impact too. The mother board design has an effect. Bottom line; if the cpu off's itself due to temperature i bet let it cool off and it will fine to restart. For room temperature operation.

wintermoon Wrote:... and what can I do to keep it low? ...
-see if you can blow some compressed air through the laptop cooling path every few months. Hold still the internal fans, prevent the internal fans from turning 90 miles/hr while doing this.
-google ( pdf on the lap top disassemble method ) read it; is it something in the range you cando w/o damage given the environment/ skillz/ tools on hand? Just open up the back plate and again gently air the dust from the lap top
-micorsoft stuff is disposable and not saying this is bad but i am typing this on a 7yr old mac. its all in the backup.

I'm on my 11th year with an HP laptop. I've never used it without the coolpad. Wavey
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Thanks guys Confusedmile: I know I'm a bit technology illiterate so this helps greatly. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a cooling pad.

Those temps are okay. As CPUs go, 90c is caution, 100c is overheating and 105c or above is probably damaging the CPU. With a laptop the two best things to do are use it only while it's sitting on a hard surface and, get a cooling pad for it.

If you run graphics intensive programs (usually games) then you need to be doubly careful as the GPU can also overheat easily.

"Cooling pads"?
Hmm, guess my laptop has always operated at quite a cool temperature, so i haven't had to look into cooling methods/devices.:redface:

I recommend running your laptop as cool as possible, as it extends a computers lifespan at least a little.

I heard somewhere that computers slowly lose processing power over their lifespans, the hotter they run, the faster the computer loses MHz. Anyone know if that's true?

Not as far as I know, unless you repeatedly run them at temps high enough to damage them, then of course it will cause the components to degrade over time, and eventually fail entirely. Overheating it onec or twice is not going to do any noticeable damage.

be sure that when you do put your fan on your laptop its not on the side the fan vents are on. if it is then you would be blowing the hot are the fans are trying to push out back into the laptop.

Genersis Wrote:I heard somewhere that computers slowly lose processing power over their lifespans, the hotter they run, the faster the computer loses MHz. Anyone know if that's true?
no, your fate is sealed when you walk out the store