Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion is Immoral
I've been a TYT fan from day 1, but this story, and his argument is SPOT ON with my own when it comes to not just abortion, but any laws or regulations constricting mine or anybody's rights and dignity in the name of someone else's stupid fucking religion.

Watch it till the end, fucking epic!

I love him!

I hate religion and this is totally sick!

The procedure should of been carried out even with the anti-abortion laws in place because the mothers life was in danger(which is the only exception to the rule.).
This seems more likely a case of malpractice than a religious issue.

As the foetus was already dead, they wouldn't of performed an abortion anyway, but I forget the name of the procedure they would of performed to remove the foetus.(A method which attempts to reduce the chance of septicaemia.)

I'm in a muslim society, i am a muslim and i am in a health profession high school. I must admit, in some ways islam is really concsclusive. Specially when it comes to someone's life. The answer is no when it comes to subjects like abortion, suicide or murder. But in this situation.. The baby wasn't gonna survive anyway and even if it would qualified persons should have performed the abortion because the woman was in danger and she wanted to have the abortion. This is nothing to do with religion, this is about people's stupidity. They are just hiding behind something that they know so many person wouldn't attempt to question. That behaviour is sick, not the religion.

Agreed. Fundamentalist religious beliefs motivate the most amoral behavior in people. Morality is not dependent on religion or spirituality.

This tragedy, the decisions of the doctors and hospital administration, are inexcusable. Wake up an smell the 21st century.

In my opinion, it's both religion and people hiding behind laws.

Definitely the doctors should've done something and were likely too scared about the consequences that might come about by performing the abortion, due to the laws in place.

However, those laws were put in place for religious reasons. It was religion that got them in that situation to begin with, and it's as the dude in the video said - Misinterpretation of things that Jesus's friends may have said 2000 years ago is not a valid way to run a society. No one should be forced to abide by anyone else's religious beliefs.

:\

Genersis Wrote:The procedure should of been carried out even with the anti-abortion laws in place because the mothers life was in danger(which is the only exception to the rule.).
This seems more likely a case of malpractice than a religious issue.

As the foetus was already dead, they wouldn't of performed an abortion anyway, but I forget the name of the procedure they would of performed to remove the foetus.(A method which attempts to reduce the chance of septicaemia.)

^^^ This.

In this case the doctors are hiding behind the law. Abusing the law to cover their arses for not doing their jobs correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_Amen...of_Ireland is clear as mud on the issue - well a wee bit clearer in that it lays the groundwork for the rights of the mother and the child.

If it was the USA I would say the doctors failed to do their job out of fear of being sued for malpractice... I have no idea what the likelihood is in Ireland for that.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/20...age/58989/ covers this aspect of the case a little in how that the law is not clearly written enough thus allows for such events as this to take place.

Ireland is infamous for religious intolerance. Dar Williams once shared how her audience was enthusiastic as she sang until she sang this song:

And then you could've heard a pin drop as the ENTIRE AUDIENCE was utterly gobsmacked.

And I know a Wiccan who lost her Wicca books because the Irish authorities deemed them inappropriate and bad influences (and never returned her books to her), and she only just barely kept from commenting on their religious violence rampant in their country at the time because she knew their religious morality would probably inspire them to bust her kneecaps either before or after throwing her in jail.

So all in all, despite that Ireland is improving, this doesn't surprise me.

And Republicans in America have tried going down this route. One piece of legislation was trying to prohibit an abortion even in the case where the fetus was dead. And many Catholic countries will also accept rapists but not an abortion. One infamous case (and a similar one by Protestant fundies happened in the US in the last year or so) was a mentally challenged child (about age 10) who was violently raped by her uncle and got pregnant and the family took her to another country to get an abortion. All involved, including the little girl herself, were kicked out of the church (which I think means they're damned to Hell) but the rapist was not, and given forgiveness & communion for his sin.

And think that's horrid? In Africa our American fundies have been getting "kill the gays" bill passed (so if gays commit crimes, including seducing the underaged, they're to be executed, but not if a heterosexual does the same), but say nothing about the infants raped by those with AIDS because of a belief common there that this can cure them (baby raping is all too common anyway and many have cited the belief that somehow the innocent baby absorbs the AIDS, and I find this believable as this is a continent in which people actually get imprisoned and executed for witchcraft and changing into animals to escape the cops, etc, as have natives that immigrated to other countries who tortured their own children to death for witchcraft). But do our fundie Christians try to get "Kill the Baby Raper" bills passed?

No.

And do Catholics? No, they're too busy trying to ban condoms...so that there will be more unwanted children and thus more poverty and also more AIDS and thus more infants raped.

On a much less epically evil moment there was a Catholic Church I used to live 2 blocks from that didn't help anyone as they claimed as far as I could tell, they wouldn't even pick up dog crap like a foot off their property on the public sidewalk (evil lesbian that I am finally did it for them) and they held a HUGE prayer rally for Prop 8...and some who came blocked driveways and a neighbor lost 2 cats, and she saw one of them run over by a truck that sped out and unless just being randomly reckless that meant the driver killed the cat on purpose, but you know he feels ever so moral and righteous (I doubt he even thought of telling his priest he killed a cat so that he could wipe his butt and say his hail mary and be "right with God" again). And yet that church said almost nothing about the rape culture many of their members engaged in. And of course they weren't bigoted they were "religious" and "had morals."

Personally, I don't care for the Young Turks, but this is one time I appreciated what he had to say and the rage he said it with.

I live in ireland and yes it has adapted more to the worlds growing in time, and people no that what was write in the bible or other books are pre historic now and that stuff was back then , and in an advanced world you don't run on past inventions, u move forward with the future,

THis is what i cannot understand why certain things just arent accpeted anymore,

its nice to know if all governments crumble, global society re reverts to the 1400's, we have religion to shore up some sort of society but in the mean time kinda redundant.