Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion is Immoral
pellaz Wrote:its nice to know if all governments crumble, global society re reverts to the 1400's, we have religion to shore up some sort of society but in the mean time kinda redundant.

Soviet Russia isn't what I'd care for at all, and under Stalin it was a pure nightmare.

But if forced to choose to live in Russia under Stalin or under the Christian Church in the 15th century I'd choose Stalin in a heartbeat (granted, part of the reason is it would be easier to get the heck away). Hell, I'd choose a year in a Soviet gulag over a single day in the hands of the Inquisition.

ETA: my point is that even the really horrid governments without religion strike me as better than when the churches ruled. But I'll add that I'd prefer road warrior anarchy to an anarchist world of Christian values as that would be too much like Somalia (with the notable exception of Christian Anarchism and those who find Leo Tolstoy inspirational). And if I had to choose between being killed by road warrior gang rapists or being tortured and "purified" by the Inquisition I'd choose the former over the latter. (One thing that always deeply disturbs me when I think of it is how not only did some sociopaths THINK UP those tortures and engineer those fiendishly brilliant devices to be used by religious authorities, but that enough people thought it was a good idea and many others thought it was righteous to use them and that the victims were the ones who were evil, not the torturers.)