Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious fervour
SolemnBoy Wrote:Except it's not always implied. There are many atheists who say they know there's no God and there are many theists who say they know there is a God. The level of certainty in someone's belief is not always implied to be lower than 100%. If that was the case I would probably agree that the agnostic term is excessive.

That's a very good point. Due to the existence of those types of atheists I can understand the need and desire to better explain your position.

In my head, people who say they know for a fact that there is no god go beyond the definition of atheist, and if anyone needs a qualifier it should be them.

But in the absence of that happening, I understand why "agnostic atheist" is necessary.

I concede good sir.

From my point of view, religion is one of human's biggest creations, but at the same time something that humans themselves are in need of in order to have an explanation on everything that they are unable of explaining. And the fact that it still exists is proof of man's imperfetion.

It just so happens for it to have taken the form of (I believe) lies, because todays vast majority of people are only capable of expressing and feeling such things.

Personally, I consider myself to be an agnostic not because of the great "unkown" and "uncertainty", but because I truly consider man being unable to comprehend something as vague as "God", even if it's man's creation all along.

Oh don't worry I have a hard time getting my own points across. I liked your apple scenario though so... hmmm... I need a few characters! Let's go with Wade the atheist, Henrietta the militant atheist, Zacharias the ignorant theist, Miranda the intelligent theist and Niklas the lovely agnostic atheist. All of them have been blindfolded and placed in the room where the apple may or may not be.

Henrietta the militant atheist: Hohoho, once again your naivety has betrayed you, unseen stranger who conducted this experiment! Your efforts to conceal the truth were admirable but alas I, Henrietta, has tricked you! Before we were blindfolded I took my time to carefully examine the entire building and the areas around it. There are no apples here! Let me proclaim that there is no way an apple could have been brought into this room! Now remove my blindfold and I'll confirm that there's no apple here. That's DEFINITELY what's going to happen BWAHAHA!

Wade the atheist: Hohoho, once again your naivety has probably betrayed you, unseen stranger who conducted this experiment! Before we entered this room I searched the entire building and there are no apples to be found. There may have been flaws in my investigation but the most probable answer is that there's no apple in this room. Now remove my blindfold and I'll get to see whether I'm correct in assuming the nonexistence of the apple. That's almost certainly what's going to happen! BWAHAHA!

Zacharias the ignorant theist: I have pure faith in the existence of the apple! No observation or fact will make me abandon my religious ways. Now remove the blindfold so I can see the glorious apple you speak of! That's DEFINITELY what's going to happen! BWAHAHA!

Miranda the intelligent theist: I believe in the glorious apple but understand that it might not exist. My belief has helped me through many hardships but even I, Miranda, must admit that I could have been wrong all of these years. Now remove my blindfold so I can make sure that the apple I believe in is there! I bet it is! That's PROBABLY what's going to happen! Oh and BWAHAHA!

Niklas the lovely agnostic: Woe is me! Alas I've been kidnapped! And for what? To play these silly little games of yours. There's no way either of you fools know whether there's an apple or not. But I don't think there is... Join me in my glorious agnosticism or gtfo!

Now if the entire world followed Miranda or, sigh, Wade, there'd be no need for a- FUCK! I just realized you made a post where you agreed with me, thus settling everything and making this more pointless than WW1... oh well.

I really wish I hadn't made that last post cause I'd love to see what you planned to write. I was all invested and everything.

By the way, add a few more lines of dialogue between those characters and you've got yourself a little Frenchy Existentialist one act play. But if I may make one suggestion.... since the Wade character is the only one lacking an adjective, and since you decided to sandwich him between a militant and ignoramus, may I offer a few potential, and accurate, words to choose from?

How about... insightful. Yes, that would do nicely. Wade the insightful atheist. Or perhaps Wade the fragrant atheist. You wouldn't know, but I emit a lovely scent when I'm discussing matters of religion.

Niklas, lol....:biggrin:

I won't accept that kind of arrogance. When I publish the work he shall be named "Wade the obviously inferior to Niklas, seriously ANYONE can see that what were you even thinking, atheist". I believe in humility.

And yet, I'd still be flattered.

I'm a Jew wanna be... or a Christ follower....

I would say Christian but that word has a lot of ugly attached to it, besides I apply the Laws of Moses in my life - you know things like not eating pork or shellfish, not wearing mixed threads and the like. Christ was a Jew and if I am to follow Him I need to set aside my gentile heritage and do as Christ would do, which means follow the Laws that He Followed.

This is unacceptable to the majority of Christian Doctrines/Denominations. I refuse to align myself with Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists which do incorporate a lot of the Mosiac Laws... However I have 'issues' with both 'cults' as I know a bit too much about them.

I align myself (loosely) with the Anglican Church/Episcopalian. That tie was stronger at one point in my life, the I ended up losing faith in the church and gained a faith in God.

It gets a bit more difficult for me as I do use magic - Paganism is always trailing behind me which complicates the whole 'Follower of Christ' thing as its condemnable to be a witch.... My house is surrounded by protective magic, I do use protective magic on the High Holidays of Satanists and other not so nice crafty cults. I cannot seem to just light a candle for its warm glow - I 'automatically' dress and light a candle with a purpose.

Which I was born of a witch, and forced to be a male witch - you can take the witch out of the craft but you can't take the craft out of the witch. I learned to much that I can't unlearn... I witnessed and was forced to participate in at least one too many rituals/ceremonies which left their mark.

I know there is more to the world than what science perceives - thus I can't throw in the towel and become an Atheist or even Agnostic - I have my 'proof' that there is more - spiritually speaking.

Being a Christ Follower doesn't rest easy on my shoulders... it is 'a truth' but I suspect it is not 'the truth'.... I believer there are many roads and ultimately they all lead to the same destination, I even believe that pure science leads to that same destination - God/Providence/Allah whatever you call it.

-We can be sure there there is no god
yes; there have been tens of thousands of religions and millions of gods. All these professing to be the one true god of choice.

-Why do people hang on
we all have a belief system. It fills in the gaps where logic cant. its just some people take it for them selves to write down their beliefs and force gullible people to run with their ideas. there is a whole industry to service the gullible people.

This story shows where misguided religious fervour can take a family: edifying.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-robe...ostpopular