Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sound of Silence
seeking Wrote:But nonetheless it's still brilliant and make me interested in this band (is it?).

I expected the second half to reach some sort of culmination point (like in the Gregorian version of this song), but they kept it the same throughout. But I like both halves nevertheless.

Disturbed is a band, yes. They've been active since 1994. Their music is good, in my opinion. I have 2 of their albums plus a live album, and I like what's on them.

Here's another cover by them:

''Do I look civilized to you?''

For comparison, here is the Gregorian version of this song:

Note how the lyrics/vocals are completely meaningless in this version. The music is now on the foreground and the one solely carrying the message. And in this one too, the lyrics are so muddled up you can't make out any particular words; they might as well just hum along and give up on singing it altogether. These are three wholly different versions of The Sound of Silence, and yet, there's something common to all of them, something that can't be broken apart or taken away.

The dancing in this video is, of course, very professional. I wanted [MENTION=1766]princealbertofb[/MENTION] to see it, actually. And to ask what he thought. It's one of the best I've seen, but maybe I haven't seen that much.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

I'll check it out, [MENTION=21405]meridannight[/MENTION].

This version of the song by Disturbed has a strong impact. I'm not good with words, but in my mind, I was feeling a man in a stark, darkened space, completely alone in every respect. The pain felt so real. It was like I felt rather than heard the song.

I haven't paid much attention to this band. I know some of their old stuff like "Stricken" and "Deceiver". It seems like they've grown and expanded, I want to take a better look.

meridannight Wrote:Note how the lyrics/vocals are completely meaningless in this version. The music is now on the foreground and the one solely carrying the message. And in this one too, the lyrics are so muddled up you can't make out any particular words; they might as well just hum along and give up on singing it altogether. These are three wholly different versions of The Sound of Silence, and yet, there's something common to all of them, something that can't be broken apart or taken away.

The dancing in this video is, of course, very professional. I wanted [MENTION=1766]princealbertofb[/MENTION] to see it, actually. And to ask what he thought. It's one of the best I've seen, but maybe I haven't seen that much.

Yeah not a fan of it, way too much reverb. Just seems the video and everything doesn't have the right feel for it like it doesn't really go together but that's just how I see it.

I think original is more somber and soft and for the time it was written and performed I have to appreciate how Simon & Garfunkel did the song, it is possible they might have been able to perform it differently if were something they produced at another point in time.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Here's Disturbed performing "The Sound of Silence" live...

I kind of like it better than the album version of their cover...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

It is one of my favourite covers. For sure.