Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report of Madrid
Last Friday I came back from a trip to Madrid with the Uni.

I'll start this post by telling you lot how my condition (MD Becker) affects me. I find stairs and walking long distances really really hard.

The trip didnt start off that well as I was traveling by easyjet. What I laugh that was lol, to start off there was a big rush to the plane, than when I got to the plane there was stairs to get on the plane. I thought ok I'll get take my time, but the people behind me kept saying things towards me in Spanish and try pushing past me.

I got seated for two hours I thought nothing about it, but then I revise that I cant get out of my seat, I asked the flight people if they could help they I just got a sorry and a shrug and they just walked past. Luckily my tutor and mate help me out by pushing me out of the seat.

So I just thought that was the only thing I'm going to have problems with.
But no when I walk into the airport the only way into it was down some stairs and even more stairs at the bottom of that set.

I got to the bus, but I couldn't get on to it with out siting on the stairs and pall my self up them, which wasn't pretty and I felt like a right tit.

God then I got to the hotel and even more steps and stairs to even just get into the hotel...

The next we all head off to the museum we are looking that day. The museum was really good for disabled people with ramps and letf every where which was really good.

But on the way back to the hotel I started noticing older people hissing and spiting at me and saying stuff in Spanish. I was waiting for a mate of mine while he went off looking for his girl friend, I was standing there for about 20 minutes and I notice something flying passed my head, I looked to see what it was and laying on the floor was some dog shit.

The 3rd day was ok but still more abuse off the locals. Another thing I notice in Madrid was alot of disabled people begging for money on the side of the roads which made me really pissed off.

The last day was really good as I was going home to the UK.

It sounds as if you didn't have such a good time in Madrid then, Sweets... I'm sorry to hear that. You said the museum had good access for disabled people though... which, I suppose, is at least one bonus.

sweetlad86 Wrote:... What I laugh that was lol, to start off there was a big rush to the plane, than when I got to the plane there was stairs to get on the plane. I thought ok I'll get take my time, but the people behind me kept saying things towards me in Spanish and try pushing past me.

I got seated for two hours I thought nothing about it, but then I revise that I cant get out of my seat, I asked the flight people if they could help they I just got a sorry and a shrug and they just walked past. Luckily my tutor and mate help me out by pushing me out of the seat.

So I just thought that was the only thing I'm going to have problems with.
But no when I walk into the airport the only way into it was down some stairs and even more stairs at the bottom of that set...
As I have stated eleswhere, I am very sorry to hear about the lack of consideration you encountered on this trip. Don't let it deter you from travelling in future. Are you too proud to play the game (that is a rhetorical question, btw Wink )? At the beginning of each of the dozens of EJ flights I've been on the head of the cabin crew team always announces they are there for your "comfort and safety". I would say that offering assistance on the plane falls well within that remit. However, what I'm wondering is whether (since they do not seem capable of recognising degrees of disability and to be able to offer help accordingly) you could bring yourself to go the whole way and declare yourself as a passenger in need of special assistance? I know it probably sticks in the throat to go this route when you are clearly still ambulant, but SA passengers are put on the plane in the second group (after the pay-to-push-in "speedy boarders"). Those requiring wheelchair help used to be taken directly to the plane in a special bus with a tail lift, although I haven't seen that happen recently.

I do think you should write to EasyJet about your experience. The chief executive, Andy Harrison, publishes his e-mail address in his editorial to each in-flight magazine inviting comments on ways of improving the service. I would imagine, you have plenty to say! The address is andyateasyJetdotcom, if you don't have it handy.

marshlander Wrote:As I have stated eleswhere, I am very sorry to hear about the lack of consideration you encountered on this trip. Don't let it deter you from travelling in future. Are you too proud to play the game (that is a rhetorical question, btw Wink )? At the beginning of each of the dozens of EJ flights I've been on the head of the cabin crew team always announces they are there for your "comfort and safety". I would say that offering assistance on the plane falls well within that remit. However, what I'm wondering is whether (since they do not seem capable of recognising degrees of disability and to be able to offer help accordingly) you could bring yourself to go the whole way and declare yourself as a passenger in need of special assistance? I know it probably sticks in the throat to go this route when you are clearly still ambulant, but SA passengers are put on the plane in the second group (after the pay-to-push-in "speedy boarders"). Those requiring wheelchair help used to be taken directly to the plane in a special bus with a tail lift, although I haven't seen that happen recently.

I do think you should write to EasyJet about your experience. The chief executive, Andy Harrison, publishes his e-mail address in his editorial to each in-flight magazine inviting comments on ways of improving the service. I would imagine, you have plenty to say! The address is andyateasyJetdotcom, if you don't have it handy.

Well I will be contacting EasyJet in the near future..

I was made a special assistance passenger on there way to Madrid but they didn't made me one on the way back, but I did make my way to the front on the way back...

It was a great shame the people in Madrid still treat disabled in the way they do...