Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rhythm & Blues music
Rychard the Lionheart Wrote:... He was known in particular for his technical innovations, including his trademark rectangular guitar.
... and not forgetting his incorporation of kpanlogo rhythm (or 3-2 son clave, if you're Cuban) into many of his songs. The Rolling Stones followed his example on "Not Fade Away".

Chris Spedding recorded a song (not using this rhythm, incidentally), called "The Only Lick I Know", which many people said was about Bo Diddley.

Sam Cooke - Chain Gang [Orginally released in 1960]

One of his first RCA singles was the hit "Chain Gang". It reached #2 on the Billboard pop chart and was followed by more hits, including "Sad Mood", "Bring it on Home to Me" (with Lou Rawls on backing vocals), "Another Saturday Night" and "Twistin' the Night Away".

Sam Cooke died at the age of thirty-three on December 11, 1964, at the Hacienda Motel at 9137 South Figueroa Street in Los Angeles, California.

In 1986, Cooke was inducted as a charter member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 1999, Cooke was honored with the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, and in 2004 Rolling Stone ranked him No.16 on their list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time". In 2008, Cooke was named the fourth "Greatest Singer of All Time" by Rolling Stone.

Otis Redding-Sitting on the dock of the bay [Orginally released in 1967]

This famous song was released after his death in 1967.

Jackie Wilson...Higher and Higher...

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas...Dancing in the Streets

Isley Brothers....Shout!

...and a tribute to Donny Hathaway who took his own life and one of the songs I love the most...he has got a great voice and I love his stuff with Roberta Flack...

I wish I could find one with him singing but I have tried and I don't think it exists..

Great thread!
Here is one of my favourite classic tracks; such a beautiful song!
Happy go lucky girl- Brenton Wood

And another sweet love song, nearly brings tears to me!:
My Girl- The Temptations

And maybe some modern jams...

So London, so lovely!
Hard Love- Lizzie Emeh

A song I think is very cute and fun
The World Should Revolve Around Me- Little Jackie

Speaking of tears...this classic duo had a tough end..Tammi Terrell collapsed on stage in Marvin's arms and later died and Marvin was shot by his abusive preacher father when he tried to defend his mother...tragic end for both of them but they gave us this classic...

Keep them coming Lilmy87, good choice of songs.

Fats Domino: My girl Josephine [Originally released in 1960]

Antoine Dominique "Fats" Domino is an American R&B and rock and roll pianist and singer-songwriter. He was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. Domino first attracted national attention with "The Fat Man" in 1949 on Imperial Records. The song "The Fat Man" was an early rock and roll record, featuring a rolling piano and Domino doing "wah-wah" vocalizing over a strong back beat. It sold over a million copies and is widely regarded as the first rock and roll record to do so. He was acknowledged as an important influence on the music of the 1960s and 1970s by some of the top artists of that era.

Am I allowed to post some Gary Moore in here then?

Well, I will anyway.

Gary Moore (born Robert William Gary Moore, 4 April 1952) is a guitarist and singer from Belfast, Northern Ireland.
In a career dating back to the 1960s, Moore has played with artists including Thin Lizzy, B.B. King, Colosseum II, Greg Lake and the blues-rock band Skid Row (not to be confused with the glam metal band of the same name), as well as having a successful solo career. Among many cameo appearances over the years, he performed the lead guitar solo on "She's My Baby" from Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3.

Yes PA, his genre is Blues Rock. So we have a link to R&B music.