Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick Mercer rant on bullying (plus another one)
Since XRIMO mentioned it in the chatbox I thought I'd see if I could find it...and I'm guessing this is it:

I don't know anything about Rick Mercer but it became apparent that he was tongue in cheek at times which made me wonder how serious he was. But I fully sympathized with his statement on school. Though I wasn't horribly bullied (at least not normally) I did see it as a prison sentence and life has only gotten better since I got out. I used to have dreams even a couple of years ago of being back in school and no matter what I did I couldn't leave. I HATE those dreams.

If someone had convinced me that my childhood was the best years of my life (as some like to claim, though luckily I didn't encounter that notion until I was an adult out of school) I think I would've offed myself, which is why I don't like it when people tell kids it will only get worse after school. I mean if I thought it was only going to get worse...Scared

That said, there was this response that says bullying doesn't end in school....and I understand what she's saying, I can point out where I've been harassed and menaced as an adult (typically for being a lesbian) but a big difference is that most of the time I'm not forced to be with my tormentors on a daily basis, and there are measures (including extreme ones in extreme cases) that I can take, from restraining orders to police (granted, some cops are terrible when it comes to protecting the LGBT community) to lawyers (a lawyer kept me and my family from being evicted by Christian fundies once who didn't directly confront us anymore after that), to moving (as opposed to having to go to the same building with them day after day where you can't escape). But if anyone wants to see the response (and I think it was worth making even if I see a difference), here it is:

Actually Pix this was a new episode that aired last night and it was in response to an Ottawa teen who committed suicide a few weeks ago. I couldn't find it on youtube or his site yet. If I do, I'll post it.

The emotional and psychological scars that bullying leaves behind can completely destroy a persons confidence and self image for many more years after the initial act .

Make no mistake bullying is a hate crime , and society as a whole has to step up to the plate and act.
It's time to hold the bullies feet to the coals.
Hold them responsible for this heinous crime, that destroys the lives of so many innocents.

As far as I am concernerd , if even one of our youths is bullied in to suicide , that is one to many lives lost.

Rainbowmum Wrote:As far as I am concernerd , if even one of our youths is bullied in to suicide , that is one to many lives lost.

I count myself as one of the lucky ones. I, well you couldn't really call it self harm, but I did attempt suicide when I was 16 years old as the result of relentless bullying and after being abused when I 12, almost 13 years old.

I Attempted suice by Train, I still to this day feel the coldness of the steel rail and the vibrations of the approaching train Near Engadine Railway Station, 36 km South of Sydney City.

I still see my mother's devestated face, the one that made me stand up and walk away from that oncoming train, the one that has bought me here with a craving to be the one to hold hands with those that do feel as I desperate as I was.

Bullying can be a death sentence, and bullies that bully someone to suicide need to face the appropriate laws, manslaughter. The sooner they start putting bullies up infront of judge and jury, the sooner I will feel that someone is actually doing something, because sure as shit after a hot curry, NOTHING has been done about bullying in the last 30 years.

dfiant ,
I am in awe of your strength ,I am also so gratefull that you did not end your life that day.
And I am also very proud of you for having the intestinal fortitude to survive.
You have been to the edge of darkness and desperation and you will be a great guiding light for these young ones.

I agree with you 100% regarding bullying .
They need to bring them to justice , ,hold them accountable for their actions.
Bullying is a hate crime charge them with manslaughter.

Thanks mum.

But I think I was lucky more than having the inner strength, thinking of my mum and the sight of a train bearing down on me scared the sit out of me. It's this same fear that mean't i didn't and couldn't stand up for myself.

Having siad that, it's surviving and maturity that gives you the strength and the ability to look back at your own experience and use that the reach others. The real heros are the kids that are thinking of these such things and ASKING for help, that is a real hero in my eyes Smile

Here is Rick's rant from yesterday.

Xandor Wrote: I went to my high school principal. He acted like he didn't know what to do. So I threatened to go to the police. Then he took action. .

And it breaks my heart to know that what we suffered back then is no different to the stories we hear today, infact if anything, it seems to have progressively gotten worse.

I do know of 2 kids, one a year behind and another a year ahead of me that commit suicide back in the early 1980's.

With the progress we have made, why aren't teachers and school admins responding more appropriately? They expect their students to learn the lessons they teach, but the lessons that are being taught to them are being completely ignored 'Bullying doesn't happen at our school', that's not good enough.

Teachers, admins and parents are soley responsible for bully because they fail to teach right from wrong.

I was bullied badly when I was in highschool. I attempted suicide when I was in high school. I couldnt take the bullying. I felt worthless, the bullies were saying they were going to kill me anyway so I figured why not end it anyway? Like I would be out sick for a day and come back and thered be disgusting shit carved into my locker and it made me cry.