Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riddles me fingers!
Here is a riddle by my favorite all time logician,Raymond Smullyan.

The Case of the Smithsonian Clocks
Two friends, whom we will call Arthur and Robert, were curators at the Museum of
American History. Both were born in the month of May, one in 1932 and the other a year
later.

Each was in charge of a beautiful antique clock. Both of the clocks worked pretty well,
considering their ages, but one of them lost ten seconds an hour and the other gained ten seconds an hour.

On one bright day in January, the two friends set both clocks right at exactly 12 noon. "You realize," said Arthur, "that the clocks will start drifting apart, and , they won't be together again until-let's see-why, on the very day you will be 47 years old. Am I right?"

Robert then made a short calculation. "That's right!" he said.
Who is older, Arthur or Robert?

numbers ones I can work out easy Smile

It will take 90 days for the clocks to be at the same time. 90 days between January 31st and a date in May can only happen in a non leap year. 1979 isn't a leap year but 1980 was a leap year.

So if Robert turns 47 in 1979 it means Arthur turns 47 in 1980, hence Robert was born in 1932 and is a year older than Arthur.

Oh, and they were both born on May 1st

Yay! You got it.

Your turn.

I am a three digit number.
My tens digit is five more than my ones digit.
My hundreds digit is eight less than my tens digit.
What number am I?