Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ridiculously long plea for advice
I don’t really know if anyone can help me or give advice with this, I like to think I have tried myself to find a decent solution for a long time, but have found none that I am happy with. I want to apologise for the length of this post, but it is difficult to know what to omit.

I am a 20 year old bi guy (pretty sure but not 100%) and have been in a relationship with a guy for two and a half years. It has been very complicated from the start, partly because I have secretly been a little uncertain as to my own sexuality, but largely I feel due to my boyfriend being extremely unhappy with his.

The first part of our relationship began with him telling me repeatedly that he was straight and that it was only me, which fairly quickly turned into him being bi. Nobody else was to know this however, and to the outside world he was straight. At first it was fun, something we had that nobody else knew about but I did start to find it increasingly difficult. His friends would often tell me about girls he liked, and whether it was to hide his sexuality or not he made a point to comment on girls around all of his friends a lot, and to flirt outrageously with girls regardless of whether I was around. In addition to this he began to tell me some quite cutting remarks that his parents had made about me, and my sexuality, which as I am at the age where people’s comments can hurt left quite an impact, particularly as they were his parents and their opinions were important to me. It might be worth saying also that this is my first and only serious relationship to date.

Things continued in this way until we eventually had to leave for university. We were very close and I believe that he loved me very much, but he said he did not want to be in a relationship at university, he left before me and stopped contact. I found this difficult, as he still text me as if we were together once I had got to university myself, and upon one visit during the first term we briefly rekindled our romance, only for him to tell me after we had slept together that he didn’t feel the same as he used to and so there was not much point. I believe that this was because he suddenly realised the gravity of the situation, as I know he has never been interested in anyone else since we have met. Over the Christmas holiday we started seeing each other again, and he told his friends that I was his boyfriend and that he was bi, a big step for him and something that I appreciated a lot, not having to sneak around anymore. It showed me that he was committed to making it work. I visited him at university to find posters of naked women everywhere, and the amount of times he commented on and flirted with girls had increased heavily (pinching girls bums in front of me, undoing their bras etc). All of this took me by surprise as it is not the person I knew/know. It is my opinion that he got to university and put on a front, as he was unhappy with himself at the time.
I felt as if I had gone from being unknown and people seeing him as straight, to being known, but not very acknowledged, as it all seemed (at least to me) quite undermining to a relationship, particularly as by now we had been together for almost a year. When sat all together there were often times that he would tell me things that his friends had said about him being ‘a lot more manly than me’. I found this extremely uncomfortable and an unnecessary comparison, stated as a negative to put me down. I do not myself believe that I am in any way ‘camp’ and my friends have said similar things about him, however I made sure I shielded him from their views, whereas he took great delight in what I believe was boosting his own ego, and trying to make himself feel better by putting me down and embarrassing me in front of his friends.

I have always been very supportive of him, giving him the space and the time to deal with things in his own way and never pressuring him to do or say anything that he has not been comfortable with. As all of this was happening and I was trying to boost his confidence however I began having problems with my own self esteem. This is where the real problem now lies. He gradually began to stop commenting on women, to the point where he now does not do this at all. He still hasn’t told his parents, which is a shame as I am certain they know already, and I believe will support him no matter what. Although sometimes I used to wonder whether it was because he wasn’t interested I can safely say that after two and a half years together and planning our future, it is not that which bothers me.

I find myself still making comparisons and wondering if others still do the same between us when I am around his friends at university. He has recently told me that he’s fairly certain he is just gay, something that I have suspected for a long time. Nobody else knows this however and I can’t help feeling uncomfortable that all they have to go on is the bravado he used to and still occasionally puts on. I feel that I am the only person that truly knows him, and this makes me uncomfortable around him and other people. I wonder often what they must really think of him/us/me. I know that he cares for me very deeply and that the opinions of others shouldn’t matter but I do struggle with them. If he meets somebody new he quickly becomes the flirty person of which I have come to dislike. He is not a naturally flirty person, cheeky yes, but I can see a clear difference between the two in him and I have come to notice that he enjoys being seen as straight, telling me happily about his dad trying to set him up with a girl recently for example.

This is entirely unfair on him now however, as he has come a long way, in accepting who he is, and becoming more proud. I am very proud of him. He treats me well, has learnt to listen to anything that might be bothering me rather than shooting me down as he used to, and I have never known anyone to love me in the way that he does. I love him to pieces but I feel that the last few years have taken their toll on me. If he mentions somebody that he used to tell me often was fit I immediately return to when it happened before, and all of the negative and confused feelings I had rush back and I struggle to shake them off.

Despite how well I feel I know him, I can’t feel completely sure, as he is a different person depending on the circumstances, and how he is feeling at the time. Every now and again he does still make me feel quite small in front of people, and say things to come across in a particular way, and after a few years of ever changing portrayals of his character, nobody knowing him or us as we are, and the occasional put downs and way in which he often patronises me I am not sure on what to do.

I feel that more recently it is a problem that I have. My self esteem is very low, and I should most put all of what has come before behind me, but I struggle, and I feel that when I am there I will always be reminded of the past, or feel belittled and put down in some small way.

Here's my opinion:

He has discovered he can use you to his benefit.

You are there when he wants you, when he needs you, and when he thinks its good for him to have you around. He apparently couldnt care less how you feel, what you think, or how he makes you look to others.

He's a user. Maybe he wasnt one to begin with, but he has turned into one.

Either confront him with this and demand he stop treating you like an accessory to his outfit, or tell him its over.

Its been my experience though, once a user, always a user. You might as well gear up to get rid of him now. Users dont like change, unless its for their sake/wants/needs. He may beg, lie, and plead that he will change, but more than likely it will just keep getting worse.

Thats my opinion. What you do now, is up to you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and reply, it means a lot to me!

Hi John, Mr Tinkles could be right or he maybe feels threatened, unsure, uncertain, scared, and falls back to something familiar, which may not work well be at least it's familiar ground to start off again, many people have backgrounds that make them react in old familiar ways rather than move on, James
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

Hey John, I agree with others. I think you should definitely confront him about this.... There's a difference between being 'unhappy' with himself and being outrageously 'flirty'. Undoing bras...naked woman pictures...pinching girls infront of you...flirting....those are very unnecessary things to do to put up a straight 'font'...especially if you're there too right infront of him.

Imagine yourself 5 or ten years after with him, now close your eyes for a minute and really imagine, done? now, tell me, could you still continue to put up with his shit after all that time?

Yo said it yourself he happily told you about his father trying to set him up, you think it is unfair for him, the think is by everything you told me, he's still giving hope to his parents by flirting with girls and everything, this isn't unfair to him as this is what he wants, I do agree this is extremely unfair, only not yo him but to you.

Really, regardless of any crap he may be living that doesn't give him any right to act treat you the way he does, you can be supportive without getting walked over.

Or he is young, dumb and full of cum.

You are 20, he is what 20-ish? you both are still 'kids' - barely out of your teens, barely out in the real world - there is a lot - and I mean a whole hella of a lot of self discovery ahead of both of you.

You both are on a steep learning curve - not just your university studies, but you are learning who you are as an adult on planet Earth. You are also learning how the real adult world works and discovering your niche in that world.

It is confusing, scary, upsetting and leads to a lot of different actions and reactions.

Seems to me he started out being in the closet (I'm straight), then decided that being bi was ok (Only you), now he is more comfortable with his sexuality and who he is (I'm gay). This is pretty typical of the coming out phase - a lot of guys go through this sort of emotional, self identification process.

Largely due to how society still frowns on gays.

His behaviors and actions are reactions are typical of an immature boy. He is still a boy - sure he may be chronologically 'an adult' - but boys mature later than girls and he has a couple three years before he is fully an adult - if he is lucky.

Quote:his is entirely unfair on him now however, as he has come a long way, in accepting who he is, and becoming more proud. I am very proud of him. He treats me well, has learnt to listen to anything that might be bothering me rather than shooting me down as he used to, and I have never known anyone to love me in the way that he does. I love him to pieces but I feel that the last few years have taken their toll on me. If he mentions somebody that he used to tell me often was fit I immediately return to when it happened before, and all of the negative and confused feelings I had rush back and I struggle to shake them off.

This is the beginnings of maturity on his part. All of this change is growth.

I fear you are also under going a lot of changes yourself.

This latter part is on you - not on him. YOUR feelings are up to you to manage. You cannot change what has happened, but you can and most likely need to get over this past issues and accept that today is a new day.

You ranted a long time about him, now turn your attention to yourself and tell yourself where you have been, what have you done, where you are now and where you are going. I bet you will find that since you turned 18 a lot has changed in you as much as it has changed in him.

However you are failing to focus on that aspect here, and I suspect that in this case you need to leave off reading his laundry list and start focusing on your own.

You start off with uncertainty about who and what you are:
Quote:I am a 20 year old bi guy (pretty sure but not 100%)

Seems to me you are pissed that he has gotten more certainty (albeit it through a lot of drama and changes) than you have. Maybe a chunk of this problem is you are jealous that he has come to figure out who and what he is and you haven't taken the risks necessary to discover yourself?

Thank you for all of your comments.

With regards to the way in which he has begun to accept who he is I completely agree, as I said I am very proud of how far he has come. My problem lies with the fact that the last part is extremely different in any form of company, i.e. after labelling himself bisexual his determination to portray himself as straight for as long as he has and efforts to preserve this appearance. I appreciate how difficult it is, but this is what makes me feel uncomfortable and I feel it is extremely unhealthy for a relationship. I regularly find myself feeling this way around his friends. They only know what he chooses to show, which has been a lot of bravado.

I agree that I need to try and put it behind me, and this is why I say that it is unfair on him. I feel immensely guilty, but it is extremely difficult after this long. Being around the same people who I’ve been told have said negative things about myself makes this harder. It is a constant reminder that after this amount of time I am still the only one that really sees us as a couple as we truly are. Regardless of how much I understand his reasons, there have been a lot of lies, and it’s tough to sift through and work out what is what. Some things may have been said as he was ‘discovering’ himself, but how am I to know how he truly feels now when talking about these sort of things he is still a little reserved, and I have had such strong mixed signals previously? He is still proud to be thought of as straight, and around new people flirts a lot. I am not a jealous person and I don’t mind him sharing a joke and being a bit cheeky, this doesn’t bother me. It is just the lack of acknowledgement of being in a relationship sometimes that does.

I disregard the last part of your comment slightly. Yes I am not entirely confident with my sexuality, but I am fairly happy with this. In terms of who I am, I agree that I have self esteem problems, but I didn’t before this, and it is a result of a lot of negative feedback from a situation in which I still find myself. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy in the relationship (much as it sounds like I am not) and disappointed in myself for feeling as I do, hence I need to find a solution, for him as well as myself. I am nothing but happy for him being a little happier with himself. Since our relationship began it is what I have hoped for, and in my constant reassurances tried to achieve in him because he deserves to be happy with who he is. I am not jealous in any way, and in terms of my sexuality I am happy enough, I do not know what ‘risks’ you are talking about but that seems neither here nor there. I would go as far as admitting I feel slightly bitter because in his ‘journey of discovery’ as you put it he has pushed insecurities onto me, put me down and portrayed himself in such a way as to lead to me feeling unacknowledged and belittled.

I would say that this is all in the past, apart from being around his friends he has most definitely changed, and in my opinion matured a lot. I suppose in reality I just need to try and forget what came before, and work on my own self esteem, not in my sexuality, but as a person in general, knowing how he feels about me, as that is all that really matters. I’m concerned though because as I can rationally think this now, I can guarantee I will on a number of occasions feel quite down, as things from the past still happened and crop up every now and again :/