Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right or left brain image..............Can you see it?
Blackout Wrote:i243. photobucket. com /albums /ff280 /ccaroli /BustMarsAttacks01. jpg

Here is a picture of the brain. Which hemisphere do you see? If you see the left hemisphere, you are left brained. If you see the right hemisphere, you are right brained. If you see a brain, you're brained.

Sorry Blackout, your link doesn't work.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Remove teh spaces

I hate these tests.

I don't see the point of them. For the spinning lady for example, I can see her spin counter-clockwise, then scroll up and down a bit and suddenly she's spinning clockwose. So what? It's like those impossible 3D drawings. They're fascinating and all, but what are we supposed to take from that? What did we learn? Why is it happening? Why is it not? Why is it relevant?

Sorry, thanks for posting both tests, my frustration isn't with either of you, but the lack of context.

Cuddly Wrote:I don't see the point of them. For the spinning lady for example, I can see her spin counter-clockwise, then scroll up and down a bit and suddenly she's spinning clockwose. So what? It's like those impossible 3D drawings. They're fascinating and all, but what are we supposed to take from that? What did we learn? Why is it happening? Why is it not? Why is it relevant?

Sorry, thanks for posting both tests, my frustration isn't with either of you, but the lack of context.

there is no point, other than to demonstrate that images can be made so ambiguous to perception that there are more than 1 equally right interpretations to them.

the explanation is simple -- the image of the spinning girl is ambiguous to your brain. you can see her spin either one or the other way, or both ways by alternating between them. all of these are equally valid interpretations and have no implications on brain function. i see her spin both ways as well, and i can switch between CW and CCW spinning.

the spinning girl is nothing more than a dynamic version of these pictures:

[Image: 869fbf55db7b16948e058150a784e5b9.jpg]

[Image: SLS02180.jpg]

[Image: 2000px-Necker_cube.svg.png]

whether you initially see a vase or faces, both are valid. whether you see a small cube in a 3-walled frame or a large cube with a chunk the size of a smaller cube cut out of it, again both are valid. and whether the last cube has its front face on lower left or upper right, both are equally valid perceptions.

the brain finds all of these interpretations equally valid, although mutually exclusive. your perception will spontaneously alternate between the two options because they are exclusive.

that's all there is to it. no implications to brain lateralization is involved. people misuse these 'tests' (perceptions) to invent identity where there is none. that's the explanation for popularized representation.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Blackout Wrote:What if you see a man?

i quess then it is the time to see an optician Big Grin

meridannight Wrote:there is no point, other than to demonstrate that images can be made so ambiguous to perception that there are more than 1 equally right interpretations to them.

the explanation is simple -- the image of the spinning girl is ambiguous to your brain. you can see her spin either one or the other way, or both ways by alternating between them. all of these are equally valid interpretations and have no implications on brain function. i see her spin both ways as well, and i can switch between CW and CCW spinning.

the spinning girl is nothing more than a dynamic version of these pictures:

[Image: 869fbf55db7b16948e058150a784e5b9.jpg]

[Image: SLS02180.jpg]

[Image: 2000px-Necker_cube.svg.png]

whether you initially see a vase or faces, both are valid. whether you see a small cube in a 3-walled frame or a large cube with a chunk the size of a smaller cube cut out of it, again both are valid. and whether the last cube has its front face on lower left or upper right, both are equally valid perceptions.

the brain finds all of these interpretations equally valid, although mutually exclusive. your perception will spontaneously alternate between the two options because they are exclusive.

that's all there is to it. no implications to brain lateralization is involved. people misuse these 'tests' (perceptions) to invent identity where there is none. that's the explanation for popularized representation.

i quess you cannot see the lady spinning to both direction at the same time you see it in the beginning. it is not which way the lady is spinning after some time, it is which side dominates "right now" and which side dominates more whenever you check the lady. when you stare it you start using your brains more and the lady may start spinng to the opposite direction. testing is based on the first impression, not letting your imagination affect and "forcing" your brains see to what you want to see.

but it is interesting to test the spinning lady after some hard differend kind of works: behave like an artist and be creative and sensitive.. check the lady... then solve hard math problems, and check the lady again. =} sometimes it works, sometimes you see the lady spinning always the same direction during the first seconds.

mrex Wrote:i quess then it is the time to see an optician Big Grin

That IS what i saw. A dancing, spinning male optician.

mrex Wrote:it is not which way the lady is spinning after some time, it is which side dominates "right now" and which side dominates more whenever you check the lady. when you stare it you start using your brains more and the lady may start spinng to the opposite direction. testing is based on the first impression, not letting your imagination affect and "forcing" your brains see to what you want to see.

but it is interesting to test the spinning lady after some hard differend kind of works: behave like an artist and be creative and sensitive.. check the lady... then solve hard math problems, and check the lady again. =} sometimes it works, sometimes you see the lady spinning always the same direction during the first seconds.

for fuck's sake, it has nothing to do with brain lateralization or your personality, or with being overall more creative or analytical. that is a complete myth, and has been debunked by scientists years ago already. this image was making rounds on the internet when i was still in flight academy in 2005 or 2006. and it's ridiculous people haven't learned anything in the meantime.

it doesn't have a thing to do with being 'right-brained' or 'left-brained' because you are both right-brained and left-brained!! you don't have one hemispheric dominance over the other to any significant degree to make such a distinction. if you're creative just call yourself creative, you don't need delusional misleading and misinterpreted 'tests' to 'prove' you are creative. we are, after all, all creative and analytical individuals.

some quotations from some experts:

Quote:A psychology professor has found that the way people perceive the Silhouette Illusion, a popular illusion that went viral and has received substantial online attention, has little to do with the viewers' personality, or whether they are left- or right-brained, despite the fact that the illusion is often used to test these attributes in popular e-quizzes.

Niko Troje says that a reported preference for seeing the silhouette spinning clockwise rather than counter-clockwise is dependent upon the angle at which the viewer is seeing the image.

"Our visual system, if it has a choice, seems to prefer the view from above," says Dr. Troje. "It's a perceptual bias. It makes sense to assume that we are looking down onto objects that are located on the ground below us rather than floating in the air above us."

quote is from here:
http://phys.org/news/2010-12-debunks-myt...usion.html

and:
Quote:The real question prompted by this illusion is why do we perceive it as rotating one way or the other, and is there a preference. It turns out, most people will see the girl spinning clockwise. You can get her to switch and spin the opposite way to your original perception – but when first looking at the illusion most people will see her spinning clockwise.

Psychology professors Nikolaus F Troje and Matthew McAdam wrote a paper explaining this preference, and not surprisingly it has nothing to do with hemispheric dominance. It is purely a visual phenomenon – they write:

Here, we show that this rotational bias is in fact due to the visual system’s preference for viewpoints from above rather than from below.

Our visual system has many such biases and preferences. In effect, our brains process visual information with many default assumptions that are true most of the time. Many optical illusions are based upon creating a special situation in which one or more of these assumptions are false. For example, our visual system has a bias for lighting from above, assumes that smaller objects are farther away, and assumes that if one object overlaps another it must be relatively closer.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index...revisited/

the whole breakdown on what is happening:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_Dancer

wikipedia Wrote:In popular psychology, the illusion has been incorrectly identified as a personality test that supposedly reveals which hemisphere of the brain is dominant in the observer. Under this wrong interpretation, it has been popularly called the Right Brain–Left Brain test,[7] and was widely circulated on the Internet during late 2008 to early 2009.[8]

you can also check New York Times on this:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/28...ncer/?_r=0

it doesn't matter which way you initially see her spin, or whether you can switch, or which direction dominates for you most of the time --- none of it has any implication on your brain lateralization or personality. stop buying into superstitious nonsense.

how many times do i have to explain the logic and rationality behind this for people to rescind their religious affect toward such things?
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Trouble is, the desire for humans to sum themselves up in quirky "unique" (read: one dimensional, shallow and generic) ways using tests, soundbites and selfies will trump actual siyants. Just look at the amount of people that post their myers briggs type on their profiles.

My Myers Briggs is IDGAF.