Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
Before you say robotic vacuum cleaners are for people who are too lazy to vacuum, well...they haven't lived in this house. Not to bitch but taking half a day to sweep, mop the floors, bathrooms, dishes...and by then you still have laundry to do... and the messes that are made it is impossible, someone is getting in someone's way because cleaning and cooking often end up going on at the same time...

Ok so everyone has heard of Roomba...it's reputation, mixed. I remember first hearing about it and thinking how could this thing possibly work? Well, while I can't speak of Roomba's back in the early days, I suppose they have improved a lot since then. A friend of mine has a Neato vac and has had it for a couple years and is very happy with it, that is coming from someone who is partnered with someone who like things clean (and so do I).

The "neat" thing about the Neato vac is that it doesn't just randomly sweep in whatever direction,t here are sensors all over the thing that try to measure the room, remember obstacles, etc... In mine I observed it establishing a parameter of a room (or a section if it is a large room) and from there sweeps the floors like you might cut a lawn. There are magnetic strips you can lay down (or in mine and my friend's case used double sided tape) to keep the vacuum from certain areas, either different rooms, places where it may get stuck, etc. They work, simple as that. You don't have to tape it down, but it is one less thing you have to worry about if you want to set up for a schedule.

Anyway, had to brag on it a bit. The other question is, how well does it actually vacuum? Well does a pretty good job, not quite the Oreck (if anyone remembers this guy)

[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UziVbJ59mck/maxresdefault.jpg[.img]

Anyway, on hard wood floors and tiles, it does a good job. The carpet we have is, well, needs to be replaced, but is a real flat. I can't speak on how it might do with a more fluffy carpet but many others are quite happy in the reviews....

So here's a short clip on mine in action (the choice of wall paint is not mine...Ray Charles could have picked better colors)

Anyway, it is considerably more quiet than a normal vacuum, you can simply run it and go about your business. Funny thing was that in one of the reviews someone complained about how noisy it was, my thinking was have you ever owned a vacuum cleaner?

[Image: neato1.jpg]

[Image: neato2.jpg]

And some things that can get in the way, small obstacles, sandals, slippers or other things its sensors cant see well or don't set high off the ground like my scale, it will just climb right over it...

[Image: neato3.jpg]
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Sweeping and vacuuming and mopping are my favorite household chores. Still I've always been interested in these and really want one, but mainly just as a ridiculously expensive cat toy.

Emiliano Wrote:Sweeping and vacuuming and mopping are my favorite household chores. Still I've always been interested in these and really want one, but mainly just as a ridiculously expensive cat toy.

My cat not really liking the vacuum. Unless you get the ridiculous model, they're about the same cost as a higher end vacuum, like less than $400... I mean does it vacuum like a dyson, no, but if you hate chores, it is a godsend, especially if you don't have time or deal with messy people...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!