Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rolling the R
Who can roll their Rs?

I keep trying to learn it but so far I'm only able to roll it with a very aspirated R a bit like the Icelandic language. I can't hold a continuous roll and can only do maybe about 1-2 vibrations in my roll.

What are some tips on rolling the R?

I can, but then I learned to do so while learning Spanish. The tip of your tongue needs to curl up a bit an rest loosely just where the roots of your top incisors end - right where your gums stop being vertical and the roof of your mouth starts.

Begin by doing an open mouthed hum with your tongue there, relax the tip of your tongue and let it vibrate as you hum with your mouth open. That is the vibration you are going for when rolling an R. Just turn the hum int an r and, you've got it. Smile

And the purpose?

writerken Wrote:And the purpose?

I study Latin and whenever I read it I want to do it properly and roll the R. I know that we don't actually know real Latin pronunciation but it's so pretty to roll the R Big Grin

Thanks Blue for that method! I'll have to practise more Smile

I can , but then again I can purr too Laugh2

Rainbowmum Wrote:I can , but then again I can purr too Laugh2

hahah i know a girl who can do that ~
she can meow really well and has really , really , really bright green eyes , too . so we think she might be part cat . lololol

megumidesu Wrote:hahah i know a girl who can do that ~
she can meow really well and has really , really , really bright green eyes , too . so we think she might be part cat . lololol

My friends are convinced there is some cat in me lol.:biggrin:

Blue THAT tickles! rrrruffles have rrridges.... Frog
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I've taken years of Spanish and I could never do it. I had a Spanish teacher from Columbia tell me it doesn't always come natural to kids who first learn Spanish and some of them have to learn in it in school. I have a little bit of this weird Boston New England thing were I don't always pronounce my r's to begin with, but not as bad as Bostonians.

I can only do it for just a couple rolls and never sustained...it just tickles too much and I can't endure it. Just reading Blue's instructions made me feel it. I suspect the propensity to do it is similar to degrees of being ticklish possibly.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart