Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rufus Wainwright
I dont know how many of you know Rufus Wainwright. I like most of is music, he released a new album now i was checking last night on youtube and found a few of his old songs i havent heard of before. Cigarettes and Chocolate milk is one of my favorites, then i found this one titled 'Greek Song'(its not Greek its about being in love with a Greek person.. or lusting after) has a nice melody here is a taster! If can anyone explain to me the lines in bold in the lyrics below please do, he can a little abstract for me sometimes Rolleyes

Greek song Lyrics
You who were born with the sun above your shoulders
You turn me on you turn me on
You have to know
You who were born where the sun she keeps her distance
You turn me on you turn me on
But so does she

You who were born there where beauty is existence
You turn me on you turn me
Your body heals my soul

You who were born where you shiver and you shudder
You turn me on the girl is gone so come on
Lets go

All the pearls of china
Fade astride a volta
Dont sew beelines to anybodys hide
Save your poison for a lover who is on your side

One way is Rome and the other way is Mecca
On either side on either side
Of our motorbike
One way is home and the other way is proper
On either side on either side and
Prepared to strike

When I get back I will dream in Barnes and Nobles
Don't leave me here
Don't leave me where Angels fear to tread,
When I get back I will bleed after my beating
Don't leave me here don't leave me here
I'm scared to death

All the pearls of China
Fade astride a Volta
Don't sew beelines to anybody's hide

All the pearls of China
Fade astride a volta
Don't sew beelines to anybody's hide

*All the pearls of china
Fade astride a volta
Dont sew beelines to anybodys hide* Do What? I have no clue what the hell he is saying and I can hardly understand a word coming out of his mouth on that video to.
*Save your poison for a lover who is on your side* To me I'm thinking he's basically saying Save all your bullshit for the one YOU love. But I could be wrong... :tongue:

*When I get back I will dream in Barnes and Nobles* Well Barnes and Nobles is a book store, so I'm sure anybody who loves books would get lost in there.

Udabar Wrote:*All the pearls of china
Fade astride a volta
Dont sew beelines to anybodys hide* Do What? I have no clue what the hell he is saying and I can hardly understand a word coming out of his mouth on that video to.
*Save your poison for a lover who is on your side* To me I'm thinking he's basically saying Save all your bullshit for the one YOU love. But I could be wrong... :tongue:

*When I get back I will dream in Barnes and Nobles* Well Barnes and Nobles is a book store, so I'm sure anybody who loves books would get lost in there.

Thanks Udabar! Yeah can be hard to understand him at the beginning but when you get used to his songs it gets better.. have heard of him before but i am totally taken by his music now.
Was looking in the internet and wiki what is Volta and didnt find it - sew beelines to somebody's hide dont get it either, definitely a metaphor!

I have most of his songs... I do like his songs, but that video you posted.. He was so hard to understand.

I loved 14th street, heard it from a TV publicity here in Argentina; i also have Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, with that weird country/western american style Smile

drocko17 Wrote:I loved 14th street, heard it from a TV publicity here in Argentina; i also have Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, with that weird country/western american style Smile
Cigarettes and chocolate milk is the top of my favorites from him.

I'm enjoying new album 'release the stars'
my fave songs:
Going to a town, tiergarten (lovely!!), between my legs, nobody's off the hook, sanssouci, release the stars
:biggrin:

Does anyone know about this project Rufus and Gale Harold from Queer As Folk working on?!?!

Thank you for introducing me to this very talented young man

I haven't seen this thread till now. I've been a fan of his father's music for forty years or more and while I am filled with admiration for what Rufus has, in compositional and in performance terms, both attempted and achieved I find a little of the sound of his voice goes a very long way for me. :frown:

I'm intrigued by the imagery in this song and I'm not sure Spoty's OP was fully answered. I wonder if RW is presenting us with mixed images of a motorcycle road trip (the Volta is an electric motorcycle ...) and reference to two love affairs? As someone who once rode a bike I can see why all the pearls of China fade in comparison with the joy of a ride in the sun. A beeline could be a mix of images about travelling to places by the shortest distance and the poison of a bee-sting. Only an ex-lover can experience the deepest hurt. Which side of the street do we walk - gay or straight? Save your poison for someone who is on your side. One way is Rome, the other is Mecca, a geographical possibility from Greece, but both places are centres of homophobic religious belief, while Greece is famous in both history and mythology for same sex love. Barnes and Noble - the bookshop, "Where Angels Fear To Tread" - the novel by E.M. Forster. The action takes place in Italy and involves seduction by both people and climate as well as a beating. Perhaps where angels fear to tread is a quasi-religious reference to the love that dare not speak its name? Intriguing, and I'm probably reading too much into the song, but I like Rufus' compositions and arrangements. I just wish I could enjoy his (for me) rather one-dimensional singing a little more.