Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia Moves to Ban Gay Marriage
(07-16-2020, 03:25 PM)Tjemka88 Wrote: As long as Putin is alive and president, one can forget about any change in LGBT lives in Russia. That's just a fact.
From what I have observed I agree with you. I think Putin is a very astute politician who knows how to manipulate his constituency. He has read the mood of the people and appears to be giving them what they want in order to clamp down elsewhere within the system. LGBT+ citizens in Russia need a president who would be prepared to lead the rest of the population into greater enlightenment. That does not look like happening any time soon.

Strangely, in the U.K. it took a Conservative Prime Minister, David Cameron, to push for same-sex marriage against the wishes of the majority of his fellow party members. Some suggested it was his undoing, even before his disastrous decision to allow the referendum on Europe.
[-] The following 1 member Likes marshlander's post:
  • andy

It's a complicated mess but Russia is a complicated country... not as modern and liberal as we are in the west. It's like stepping back 100 years in terms of general public opinion etc.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

i remember watching a documentary about been gay in Russia , it could have been as long as 10 years ago but it stuck with me - an undercover journalist interviewed a lesbian couple after one of them had been attacked by a group of men , she was beaten then stabbed several in the stomach times but luckily she survived - once the Police found out she was gay the refused to even look into it and told her it was her own fault . To kill a gay person in Russia was considered OK , and not a real crime , it was shocking to see even the Police consider killing gays as a just action