Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russian Troll Army
i've lately come across reports that Russia is actually keeping people (trolls) on its payroll to have them blog, comment, and post on various Western news sites and forums to advance and forward its own agenda and ideology. in other words, an internet troll army.

i put this thread under humor, because it's funny. (although on another note, it would explain some of the trolls here on GS).

hunting-for-paid-russian-trolls-in-the-washington-post-comments-section/

the-kremlins-troll-army/375932/

and here's something we're doing:

The Huffington Post Wrote:The latest foreign office to engage in the increasingly popular sport of Twitter-trolling the Kremlin is Britain's embassy in Ukraine, which on Wednesday released a handy guide to help Russians spot their own tanks.

British Embassy trolls Putin

[Image: BwDh5TICcAAaIiz.jpg]

cheers Canada! Wink

Yes, there have been mentions about them in the news . Best is just to totally ignore them if you come across to such a thing and of course report them in case they are rude etc.
Monalisa
P.s. there are trolls in this forum ?!

No doubt...both major political parties here do it. I accidentally came across a McCain website back in 2007 that offered points and rewards to go around the internet spreading talking points and disinformation...I always knew they did it but it was weird to see it. You had to come back and list the websites with links to whatever lie you were spreading that day for rewards...

I went and posted it with the link on the board I was on at the time in the middle of the night but the next day it was gone......

Even if it came to light no one would ever admit to knowing about it...anyone can campaign for anyone on their own....

Fanatical religious people do it as well...so do Democrats, Republicans, Stormfront...a lot of people stir up hate on purpose.

Faux News here in the US went to the court to defend their right to lie!!!! OMG...They won! ...and they are the most watched news show in the US. They openly and without a blink of the eye spread propaganda and lies. Twice when two of their Republican Darlings did something bad....I think it was Mark Sanford and Mark Foley...on their screen shot next to their name they put a (D) so their dimwit viewers would believe it was "another immoral Democrat".....

I would be so pissed off if I was a viewer for insulting my intelligence...but they know their audience well.

Spreading propaganda now is an elevated art form for the people who do so...

I can't even watch ANY news anymore in the US...it is all newstainment and bullshit biased propaganda. I like BBC sometimes...they just deliver the news and you get to see what is happening around the world. Also...if you want to know the "other stuff" that is happening in the US...watch BBC.

East Wrote:No doubt...both major political parties here do it here. I...I can't even watch ANY news anymore in the US...it is all newstainment and bullshit biased propaganda. I like BBC sometimes...they just deliver the news and you get to see what is happening around the world. Also...if you want to know the "other stuff" that is happening in the US...watch BBC.

I'm afraid the BBC also sometimes seem to have their own agenda. It's not so totally reliable as you might think. For a good idea on the news you still have to shop around.

princealbertofb Wrote:I'm afraid the BBC also sometimes seem to have their own agenda. It's not so totally reliable as you might think. For a good idea on the news you still have to shop around.

I don't doubt it...but I bow to them for never mentioning Britney Spears..or Paris Hilton...or the Kard something girls with the big butts...or Justin Beiber....

That is enough for me...sadly...

sorry East, but i don't really understand what you're talking about. sometimes European news outlets get some things a little skewed, but usually it's boring unless you're actually interested in the topic they're talking about. and nobody confuses entertainment with news.

i don't watch the news on TV anyway. i check the internet and multiple sources on one and the same thing. it's pretty easy to get to the bottom of it on the internet.

I doesn't surprise me in the slightest that governments do this kind of things, most have a relatively short stay in power so need to grab as much wealth as they can in that time frame so will do anything to spread lies and misinformation that will help them in this quest,

not sure how trolling gayspeak helps them out but at least we have a bit of fun at their expense

Jerry Wrote:Yes, there have been mentions about them in the news . Best is just to totally ignore them if you come across to such a thing and of course report them in case they are rude etc.
Monalisa
P.s. there are trolls in this forum ?!

Now that I've read this it explains some jerks I've seen on news forums.

I've probably been too naive about all this so far. I wouldn't have expected it.

Then as far as some of these trolls being in GS... now that I think about it ... that would sure explain the growing trend of new one time posters with equally idiotic questions.

meridannight Wrote:sorry East, but i don't really understand what you're talking about. sometimes European news outlets get some things a little skewed, but usually it's boring unless you're actually interested in the topic they're talking about. and nobody confuses entertainment with news.

i don't watch the news on TV anyway. i check the internet and multiple sources on one and the same thing. it's pretty easy to get to the bottom of it on the internet.

I guess I trailed off there...sorry..

What my point was...on pretty much any larger site on the internet here you have trolls from American churches...anti choice people...political parties...Stormfront ...which is a racist "White America' hate group...alot of them go to the larger LGBT sites to start fights and incite hatred and to get their agenda across.

It has become mainstream now...professional trolling.

The one example I gave was illustrating what I saw personally....