Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS strikes down DOMA
So I graduate today, so I'll be off right after this. But I just wanted to share this before I leave! The other cases aren't done yet, but this sets an excellent precedent.

"The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity,” Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion. “By seeking to displace this protection and treating those persons as living in marriages less respected than others, the federal statute is in violation of the Fifth Amendment.”

DOMA, which was a law that essentially made it so same sex relationships couldn't be recognised federally in terms of taxes, grants, and other things that heterosexual marriages have, has been struck down. It also made it so that people married in one state were not married in another, although this is more for states that have constitutional amendments and so have something like DOMA at the state level, like in California, or where SSM isn't recognised.

DOMA HAS BEEN MADE NULL.

There are a few more cases happening, but I have to get going, so I won't see the outcome. Just wanted to share what with everyone. 1blue1.

LOOK I HAVE PICS IT HAPPENED: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26...54811.html

Also, If you're not sure what DOMA is: http://www.glaad.org/marriage/doma

Congratulations... I'm excited DOMA is finally gone, one big step has been taken Smile

Um I think the exact words that were used were:

A black man is more likely to become president before they let you faggots marry!

Apparently they were right.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/...s/2459279/

First off congratulations on your graduation! Smile

And now YES!!! I'm so happy we're moving forward! California now becomes the 13th state to legalize gay marriage. And we're getting things done!

What? All of DOMA?
Even the part about states recognising marriages from other states?

If this is the case, the outcome was better than I had expected.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-5759...op-8-case/

Quote:In a 5-4 ruling in United States v. Windsor, the court struck down a provision of the 17-year-old Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) that denies federal benefits -- like Social Security benefits or the ability to file joint tax returns -- to same-sex couples legally married.

Doesn't mention anything about the part where states don't have to recognize other states' marriages.

Quote:At the same time, the court ruled 5-4 that the defendants in the case of Hollingsworth v. Perry, which considered the constitutionality of California's same-sex marriage ban (called Proposition 8), have no standing in court. Supporters of Prop. 8 brought the case to the Supreme Court after a lower court struck down the law but California's governor and attorney general declined to defend it. By dismissing the case on procedural grounds, the court passed up the opportunity to issue a significant ruling on the issue of marriage.

Based on the general trajectory of the oral arguments, this is about what I expected would happen in the Prop 8 case, being decided on procedural grounds rather than the merits.

Only Section 3 of DOMA was struck down by the SCOTUS.

Section 3 defines who can be federally recognized as married (one man, one woman)

By striking down Section 3, the Federal Government must now recognize the marriages performed in the 12 States that currently allow same-sex-marriage.

Section 2 of DOMA is still intact, which means my marriage (performed in Vermont) is not recognized in Florida where I reside because Florida has a Constitutional Amendment stating marriage is only between one man & one woman.

The next step to marriage equality will probably be when someone brings a case before the Supreme Court Of The United States that challenges the constitutionality of DOMA section 2 using the "Full Faith & Credit Clause" of the US Constitution.

This "Full Faith & Credit Clause" is what makes one State accept the Marriage License of another State. At present, DOMA section 2 allows states to sidestep the Full Faith & Credit Clause when Same-Sex- Marriages are performed. Therefore, my Vermont marriage is not recognized in Florida.

Oh, I thought section 3 would of been the only section struck down.

It also pains me to see only just enough justices opted to strike it down.

I read not ALL of DOMA. states can still do as they please. Could be wrong though.

Don't jump up just yet.

More to fight Ladies and gents.

Mick