Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSM Opponents Inch Closer to Death
Gay Marriage Opponents Inch Closer to Death

[Image: gaymarriage.jpg]

I like Charlie's response to the chart so I am reposting it ....

Anti-gay bigotry doesn't exist in isolation. Typically some who opposes gay rights opposes rights for most groups. When you look at the chart you will notice that the states that show a majority of those under 30 opposing marriage equality are typically from states that seceded from the Union. You will also notice they are the states that did not enact the Equal Rights Amendment.

He is absolutely correct and in my opinion it isn't about gay marriage as much as it is about willful ignorance and a dull mind and bigotry that extends toward everyone.

East Wrote:He is absolutely correct and in my opinion it isn't about gay marriage as much as it is about willful ignorance and a dull mind and bigotry that extends toward everyone.

I agree 100%

A 40 points difference for the 18-34 crowd out there must be due to upbringing... so you'd think the USA had a united culture? Not for same sex marriage, obviously. It is all to do with upbringing and education. Quite shocking that Alabama's youth only understand this equality thing at 35% of their population.

Thanks, Pellaz, interesting graph. Confusedmile:
In the UK the news was saying today that Scotland was likely to accept same sex marriage before England and Wales... The Scots lead the way, but then again, their men wear skirts, right??? Wink

Note that the figures are for up to four years ago... In four years, lots can have changed as minds will have been subjected to new ideas and new arguments.

princealbertofb Wrote:A 40 points difference for the 18-34 crowd out there must be due to upbringing... so you'd think the USA had a united culture? Not for same sex marriage, obviously. It is all to do with upbringing and education. Quite shocking that Alabama's youth only understand this equality thing at 35% of their population.

Considering how large the USA is in land mass one would think we would be more diversified and more like Europe, with each state having a far stronger "self personality" in its culture than the general homogeneity we do have.

Alabama, Mississippi. Also have other things in common, such as poverty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S..._by_income

There is also a stronger fundamentalist leaning when it comes to Religion. Lets just say that there is more Christians in the poor states than in the rich states.

Poverty and ignorance go hand in hand.

princealbertofb Wrote:Thanks, Pellaz, interesting graph. Confusedmile:
In the UK the news was saying today that Scotland was likely to accept same sex marriage before England and Wales... The Scots lead the way, but then again, their men wear skirts, right??? Wink

Its a kilt, not a skirt! :mad:

:biggrin: