Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scandinavian noir and Eurothrillers MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS OF ARNE DAHL
Hi all!

Is anyone else here a fan of Scandinavian thrillers and police dramas from countries like Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, and Finland? I watched 'The Killing' once featuring the Danish cop Sarah Lund and thought it was pretty cool. I've only seen one episode (too damn busy) but want to watch the rest of the series so badly. It made a killing of its own in the UK if you'd excuse the pun - it went on to become possibly one of the most viewed foreign programmes this side of The North Sea.

The Swedes have come up with quite a few of their own versions. One of them Wallender has been successful as a police procedual drama. Arne Dahl is a good programme as well and follows a team of detectives as they investigate murders and cases of suspected murders in Stockholm. However, I was a bit annoyed at one of the episode involving an American CIA agent operating undercover in Stockholm who carried out assassinations which were disguised as random acts of a psycho killer known as 'The Kentucky Killer'. It just got so unrealistic and absolutely absurd towards the end. They should've just left it as a serial killer who fled from New York to Stockholm to continue his murders over there and left the CIA nonsense out of it altogether.

The French have also come up with some good thrillers which are now technically in competition with the Scandinavian noir programmes. One in particular which is good is Spiral or 'Engrenages' which is its official French title. Its a great programme. A lot more violent than the Scandinavian ones in general. It involves a team of detectives working for the DPJ in Paris - their equivalent of the CID or FBI. They go in pursuit of murderers, organised crime, anarchists, terrorists, Albanian pimps, the worst sort of scum imaginable. Its a damn good show. Probably unrealistic but it does show the gritty side of Paris for a change rather than the romanticized nonsense you usually get with programmes and films set in Paris.

So does anyone else like or dislike any of these shows?

I was/am very enthusiastic about "Engrenage". Very gritty, very Gallic. I'm anxiously waiting for Season 4.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I've got Season 4 on DVD. Its really good. Although its not as good as the second and third seasons. I am not sure the first season was the best. It was good but the action really picks up in season 2. 3 wasn't as good as 2 but still not bad. Overall a good programme mostly.

There's another one called The Returned or 'Les Revanantes'. Have you seen that at all? Its brill. Its about these dead people who are resurrected and who look exactly as they did when they passed away. Its a strange programme. But awesome!

Tulloni Wrote:I've got Season 4 on DVD. Its really good. Although its not as good as the second and third seasons. I am not sure the first season was the best. It was good but the action really picks up in season 2. 3 wasn't as good as 2 but still not bad. Overall a good programme mostly.

There's another one called The Returned or 'Les Revanantes'. Have you seen that at all? Its brill. Its about these dead people who are resurrected and who look exactly as they did when they passed away. Its a strange programme. But awesome!

My mistake, I recorded Season 4 and it's Season 5 I'm waiting for.

'Les Revanantes' was initially interesting and ultimately disappointing in my opinion.Too slow and nothing really seemed to happen.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams