Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish people, assemble!
Greetings!

It's always been my dream to study within the UK and I decided on Scotland early on since it offers free education for people within EU.

I was spending time with some friends yesterday though, and one of them brought up his brother who's one year older than me and who had recently applied for a Scottish university. This is, pretty literally what he said:

"My brother was planning on waiting a year before going to university but since this is is the last year of free Scottish education he decided to skip that plan and just go ahead".

This of course worried me and I almost panicked for a while. I've been searching the internet for hours to find any information on the subject. All I've found is some criticism towards the offering of free education but nowhere did it actually say it's going to stop. I'm really anxious right now and I was just wondering if anyone who actually lives in Scotland knows what's going on?

I was confused to this; if your english, welsh or northern irish you pay fees - a member state (uk). Yet if your eu you can have for free. So a german can study for free but if you live in berwick, england just across the border you are paying (still be cheaper than england!) Like you said there appears to be criticism and opposition to the free education, but nothing to say you cant, can you not contact the universitys and enquire. Think your friend may have got it wrong.

Apply to the university of your choice and ask what the fees for tuition would be for a foreign student. It'll soon put your mind at rest. I'm afraid the way things are going, education is no longer going to be free for higher education. If it still is in Scotland, you'll be very lucky.

Scotland.....

just the word gives me hot flashes!!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzKZdauH8oA29yclkiyPN...4QeTDrrWJc]

The universities must have admission department staff that could answer your questions about student fees better than anyone here. I'd send an email asap because they tend to get swamped around admission time. The University of Endinburgh site seems to suggest that the fees for EU citizens are set at equal to that of Scottish residents, but far lower than other parts of the UK and "overseas" students.

http://www.docs.sasg.ed.ac.uk/fees/under...3-2014.cfm

The email for their staff is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/...ng/contact

Quebec is holding out as one of the few cheaper university bastions outside of Europe, won't last much longer though.

Thanks a lot OrphanPip. The links will be very helpful. I don't think my parents will be willing to give me that much financial support since it would be free if I stayed in Sweden... oh well.

And thanks to everyone else as well Smile

SolemnBoy Wrote:Thanks a lot OrphanPip. The links will be very helpful. I don't think my parents will be willing to give me that much financial support since it would be free if I stayed in Sweden... oh well.

And thanks to everyone else as well Smile

You should also inquire about eligibility for scholarships, student aid, and work funding. Many universities in North America will also offer work as a means of aid, usually in offices or food services, partly on the basis of financial need.

LOL scotch people! xD
I have a scotch person who works with me. Oh how fucked off he'd be with me saying scotch xD Also I like to tell him he is gay. He usually makes it easy u.u