Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
A post regarding winter (thanks Fenris) prompted me to post this...

So, does anyone here suffer from SAD? By that I mean people who have the actual condition as diagnosed by a doctor. I suffer from SAD and it is something of a misunderstood condition by many who do not suffer from it.

People have often said to me 'well we all feel a bit less cheerful in the winter' - I would gladly swap places with these people so they could see the difference!

I also find many well intentioned people offering advice, like if you take this vitamin, or that natural remedy or go for a walk that will cure the problem. I do use some natural treatments and exercise however the only thing that eases the problem is medication and light therapy. Nothing (so far) has ever caused me to be symptom free.

So, any other SAD sufferers here, or should I go sit in the corner on my own Astrosmiley2

Despite what I said in Ferris’s thread, I actually really like winter an associate the winter with nothing but fun childhood memories. We used to do everything, we had like a 6 foot fence in the yard an we would pile all the snow from the surrounding area in a big pile than do back flips off the fence. There was snowball fights, we built snow-fortes and of course the most epic of winter games KING OF THE HILL.
I only get bitchy when it’s straight cold with no snow cause what’s the point of it being 20 below if you can’t play.

As a season I love winter, I love the cold weather, the way the trees look bare - I even love the dark winter nights (perfect for cuddling up to some special guy and keeping warm) - so its kind of perverse that winter causes me such problems!

juk Wrote:A post regarding winter (thanks Fenris) prompted me to post this...

So, does anyone here suffer from SAD? By that I mean people who have the actual condition as diagnosed by a doctor. I suffer from SAD and it is something of a misunderstood condition by many who do not suffer from it.

People have often said to me 'well we all feel a bit less cheerful in the winter' - I would gladly swap places with these people so they could see the difference!

I also find many well intentioned people offering advice, like if you take this vitamin, or that natural remedy or go for a walk that will cure the problem. I do use some natural treatments and exercise however the only thing that eases the problem is medication and light therapy. Nothing (so far) has ever caused me to be symptom free.

So, any other SAD sufferers here, or should I go sit in the corner on my own Astrosmiley2

I would try light, but you must test what is your prefered color, other colors don´t work .... I have written about in a depression thread ... and basil tea
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]

I found another interesting tea : Ginseng ( Panax Ginseng )
Root... 2 Tablespoons dried and cutted
500 ml cold water - over night ( 8 -12 hours )
then heaten and boil for 10 minutes....

2 - 3 cups /day[/COLOR]

SAD?
I have heard of it.
But didn't know it had a specific name.:redface:

I LOVE autumn.
But i don't feel particularly depressed durring any of the seasons.

Sounds like a real PAIN to put up with.:frown:
Wish ya the best.Confusedmile:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I think my partner had this... though he never mentioned it to me last year. Maybe he got over it? He told me had it back in 2007-2008. Nowadays, I guess he got over it.

A good friend of mine in Canada has SAD and it gets really bad in the middle of winter. I understand what you are saying concerning the disease being misunderstood...the same thing happens to me with empathy. I actually physically take on other people's conditions if I am not careful and even if I am it sometimes still happens...scary stuff and quite misunderstood so I know the sitting in the corner by myself feeling quite well. I am hoping when I go to Brazil I will finally be able to get the help I need as there are alot more pople there who understand the condition and can help me.

I am horrified by the upcoming winter. The last few winters I get depressed like..I mean, I am depressed almost all the time and later when I think kabout that period of my life, its like a grey-black time, I wish not to remember anything about it. Does this count? This year I will try to get through it with a therapy.

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:I am horrified by the upcoming winter. The last few winters I get depressed like..I mean, I am depressed almost all the time and later when I think kabout that period of my life, its like a grey-black time, I wish not to remember anything about it. Does this count? This year I will try to get through it with a therapy.

There are so many different kind of depressions .. and depression like sicknesses, its not easy to find out wich you have.

But there are so many things you can do against it .... look @ my postings before...

You have to be diagnosed with it to truly know. My ex wasn't diagnosed with SAD. That means he really didn't have it, I guess.