Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secret to lasting, blissful successful marriage or relationship
For those who are married or in a relationship, what are your secrets to long lasting, happy and successful marriage or relationship?

Hands-make-heartHands-make-heartHands-make-heart

Nobody is perfect. Sometimes you have a choice: you can be "right" and alone or accept that people have beliefs that are not identical to your own and be with someone. It really is that simple.
~Beaux

Compromise...
Having your partner also be your friend....
Knowing how and when to forgive him..and forgive yourself
Communication...and knowing how to listen...
Know thyself...you will have a much better relationship with someone else when you have a good one with yourself...
Take responsibility for your own shit...

....and...though probably not a requirement for everyone but definitely for me....similar spiritual beliefs.

Oh yeah...this one is debatable I guess but I have never said a bad word about the man I love in 29 years...to anyone...ever. I never will...I know this. The reason...If I have something to say... I say it to him.... as that is the only person who it concerns besides me. I respect him...and I respect myself.

As obvious as it sounds...the right partner. If you're incompatible, it doesn't matter how much you might both want to "make it work". Compatibility is always the biggest hurdle. And the thing is - people change as they get older. And even if you and he are perfect for each other right now, that doesn't mean you-in-twenty-years and he-in-twenty-years will be perfect for each other.

Lex

Don't expect him to complete you, to read your mind, or expect your life to become 100 x better than it was before just because you're in a relationship. Accept the fact that you, and he are both flawed humans and that relationships take WORK. You're not always going to like each other. Communicate, and compromise. He's going to do a million things that drive you crazy... try to learn to like/accept those things, and accept him for WHO he IS, and not try to make him into whom you WANT him to be.

Love, trust, communication, dedication, acceptance, commitment.

I'm not sure there is an exact science or secret to it, we just kinda make it up as we go along

All I can tell you is, I can't even -imagine- a life without him and there is NOTHING we can't get through together.

*adds to [MENTION=20938]Gideon[/MENTION]'s list*

Being mindful. Ie: Before you do something, you think how this would effect the other person if they knew. You don't go "well, they'll never know" because if you're living honestly, you're going to end up having to share it with them anyway... so it's important to become mindful -before- you act (or speak) rather than during or after.

I want to find a husband)))) and make him happy))))

I wouldn't have a clue to what makes it work - Im guessing doing things your not particularly fond of if its your other half's passion that can help....making them happy with a small compromise keeps the ship sailing I guess

As East said (I respect him...and I respect myself)...

I think respect for the other person is huge...