Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secretary Clinton on LGBT Rights in Geneva
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton speaks on LBGT rights at Human Rights Convention in Geneva Switzerland.

Gay rights: Africa, the new frontier
By Farouk Chothia BBC Africa

Mrs Clinton did not outline sanctions for countries that fail to reform same-sex laws, but an official memorandum directs US government agencies to consider gay rights when making aid and asylum decisions.

Her comments follow a warning by UK Prime Minister David Cameron last month that the UK would reduce some aid to countries that refuse to recognise gay rights.

Homosexual acts are illegal in most African countries, including key Western allies such as Uganda, Nigeria, Kenya, Egypt and Botswana.

Reacting angrily to Mrs Clinton's speech, Ugandan presidential adviser John Nagenda told the BBC: "That fellow [Mr Cameron] said the same thing. Now this woman [Clinton] is interfering.

"If the Americans think they can tell us what to do, they can go to hell."

Uganda is a staunch ally of the US, receiving military assistance to fight a local rebel group - the Lord's Resistance Army - and has sent troops to Somalia to fight the al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab group.

I've always thought that if their countries have enough to seek out gays to imprison or execute them, then they OBVIOUSLY have enough money to eat and live on, because someone in desperate need shouldn't have the time or money to pursue such things and care more about where they're gonna get their next meal or medical treatment than what other people are doing in their own bedroom. And given them aid to do things like that is just taking part in the oppression, and I personally don't want my tax dollars going to that.

Pix Wrote:I've always thought that if their countries have enough to seek out gays to imprison or execute them, then they OBVIOUSLY have enough money to eat and live on, because someone in desperate need shouldn't have the time or money to pursue such things and care more about where they're gonna get their next meal or medical treatment than what other people are doing in their own bedroom. And given them aid to do things like that is just taking part in the oppression, and I personally don't want my tax dollars going to that.

I quite agree. I would like to see the administration commit to the same broad sanctions that Cameron has. Though, GB doesn't have as narrow a diplomatic tight rope to walk and can afford more direct responses. An envious position, to be sure.

Here hear, long overdue.

I'm glad to hear about this.

I read a couple articles on this last night and some people posted in the comments that the USA shouldn't tell other nations how to run their country and live there life’s just to get aid. I disagree. Let's be honest, if it's our money we're loaning them then we can have strings attached to it. That's how it works. Like if I were to borrow money from my parents or whatever they can say you can only use it for food, or bills, or whatever.

I do kind of worry that this just might be a ploy to get the LGBT votes for the upcoming election. Not enough has been done under President Obama for gay rights in the USA. I'm not too surprised, this happens, the republicans are almost always against gay rights so no surprise there, the democrats are for it, but when they get in office they don't do too much for gay rights, at least not like they claim they will for risk of pissing off any moderates or religious voters they got.

Honestly, Fred Karger is running for president for the republicans, he won't win, not even close, but his views are smart. The nation is heading towards full equal rights towards LGBT, also legalizing weed and I see Fred Karger's views as what should be the new republican line, also making it an inclusive party for many people to relate to and join. Try and limit federal government's power, work to keep taxes low and the support the private sector, LGBT rights for everyone, legalize and therefore tax and control weed. This is where I see the nation heading. The democrats talk the talk but don't really act on it too much, the republicans are just against it, they should change their party line and they'll have great success in the coming decades. Of course they don't want to piss of their rich, conservative, older base of donors. Which is fine for now until they all start dying off, not to mention they aren't enough votes to keep you in power.

Sorry, I guess that's kind of an off topic rant, I am glad that Obama is taking a stand with other nations on gay rights but I just hope it's more than a show for votes. We'll see in the next few years if it pans out or not. I'm guessing not. When it comes down to it I don't see the USA limiting or stopping aid to an ally nation because they are against gay rights.

Pix Wrote:I've always thought that if their countries have enough to seek out gays to imprison or execute them, then they OBVIOUSLY have enough money to eat and live on, because someone in desperate need shouldn't have the time or money to pursue such things and care more about where they're gonna get their next meal or medical treatment than what other people are doing in their own bedroom. And given them aid to do things like that is just taking part in the oppression, and I personally don't want my tax dollars going to that.

States don't eat. The fact that the state has enough resources to run a criminal justice system and punish criminals (however they choose to define them) does not mean that some (or many) of its inhabitants are not starving. Economic inequality is not peculiar to the Western world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Funny...
An 18 page argument i had with a guy on another forum about the UK doing this disappeared just the other day.:mad:
I hate the way that that forum has erased many hours of my post time and over 50% of my posts because they have been on gay topics. Which is band due to being controversial.:frown:

Sorry, that's off topic...

Err...
Yeah. Good.Confusedmile:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

fredv3b Wrote:States don't eat. The fact that the state has enough resources to run a criminal justice system and punish criminals (however they choose to define them) does not mean that some (or many) of its inhabitants are not starving. Economic inequality is not peculiar to the Western world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, you do not support Cameron's decision to limit aid to countries based on their human rights records? While food aid is a condition of many aspects of foreign assistance, it is not all. I would be willing to bet that medicine and food are not going to be the portion of aid cut for human rights violations. It is probably a question the citizens of Britain should look into. What aspects of aid would be cut and how much?

Wow, very well said. Lord I pray that we will see equal LGBT rights before we die.

Prominent Republican and US Religious Leaders spent ALOT of time in Uganda helping them craft these laws....ironic that they are having a problem NOW with US interference. Also...if anyone REALLY needs to know why religion is an enemy of gay people...check out Uganda and exactly why they have the proposed legislation they do....it has EVERYTHING to do with religion.

Thank God there are people who are fighting for these people's lives and speaking out instead of just "waiting for change to come".

The country of Sweden acted with sanctions right away...Bravo Sweden.