Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-appreciation?
I basically have depression and I'm taking Prozac after being raped when I was 15, I've suffered from an eating disorder for months. I can't stop putting my own importance at the bottom of the list.

So much so that I can't say a single good thing about myself. I have no self-confidence and do not value myself at all.

Please can someone give me advice on how to feel better?

Rob x

Aww man thats a tough one because you have to deal with something very sensitive as rape. You will find good advice here however the best thing to do is to go for counseling, it also helps with depression a lot. Did you had some sessions already? I can find more information for you on how to move on this, let me know ok?

Other ways to deal with depression, gain confidence and self-appreciation is exercise healthy diet and an active life style: Organize your time and the space you live in. Anything you really want to do, eg... Arts, music, sports, activities? (do list them here, its is not a rhetoric question.) Set goals and work on then one by one, you learn to prioritize. All these really help to gain confidence and is not as hard as it might seems but you will have to find out yourself, and generally this is how people deal with situations like this.

Iv had counselling....wasn't for me, tried coming off prozac..can't do ii, I'm starting to turn to alchol.... Sad

I'm interested in photography and I have a £500 camera so should start using it...
Also interested in having a healthy diet and lifestyle...but I need advice on healthy eating etc.

I've just moved into my new house so hopefully will feel better once it's all sorted and tidy. Money's hard though Sad

I'm not the best person to give advice since I'm in counselling myself but I've had my fair share of problems with drugs.If your doctor prescribed them and approves of your consumption ritual then it's fine but beware,those things can be addictive.I gather you've been taking them for a year now hey?

That's not good,counselling is a lifesaver.I know it kinda sucks in the being with those old people asking stupid questions but once you get into it,it's really amazing.Do you have anyone else that you can talk to?You just HAVE to get off Prozac if the doctor hasn't approved that.Why couldn't you stop?I suspect that you suddenly stopped taking the pills.You need to lessen the dosages first,consult a GP & they'll give the certain steps to follow.

Thanks for taking time to reply Dan. Don't worry they're on prescription...but I can feel I am relying on them too much...I feel happy...but I can tell it's artificial......I just want to be normal again! Will mention it when I go for review soon, I hope to wean off sometime!

I really don't think counselling is for me...I just sit and don't know what to say....I'm over the rape...I just have depression from it now.... Sad

My friend I don't think you can be ever completely over such a thing.I mean,something that happened to me about 18 years ago came back to haunt me because I had not properly addressed it.I'm afraid that we can't simply forget what happened to us but we need to learn to live with it.And the Prozac,please alert your GP about your current state.Believe you me,Pro can make you feel happy but then one day,it will make you really depressed.

I know...the last few days have been really bad...so bad I was at the point of self-harming.

I don't know if the rape is still affecting me or not...I don't think about it anymore....to be honest....I didn't want to say this incase you thought I was making it up:

The morning of his trial, my rapist hanged himself and it's that which makes me feel so crap....I feel like I caused his death.

The other night I was rootling through my old clothes and found the clothes I was wearing at the time....the police wanted them for evidence and I got them back a few months ago...

I was drunk when I found them in my attick and decided to burn them. It was a right emotional session and it felt strange....

Jesus Christ,no teenager should ever go what you went through what you did.I admire you're bravery & strength.I think that you're actually forgeting that you're still young and therefore you still need someone to "fight your wars" with you.Anyway,I'm not good at this but other much wiser GS members will give you substantial advice.And the name's Daniel by the way.