Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selfie Madness: Too Many Dying to Get the Picture
I have never taken a selfie with a smarphone and I never will:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/cameras/features...ure-735536

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...round.html
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I wouldn't have the avatar I have today without my phone and my selfies. This award is for you iPhone *raises selfie award in the air with a fist pump*
Gossip is the Devil’s telephone; best just to hang up.

IanSaysHi Wrote:I wouldn't have the avatar I have today without my phone and my selfies. This award is for you iPhone *raises selfie award in the air with a fist pump*

But judging from your photo you did not place yourself at risk while taking it. The photo in my profile was taken by a friend.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Ian you did well. It's a great picture.

I tried it. My phone melted.
I bid NO Trump!

People that are stupid get killed in stupid ways.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:People that are stupid get killed in stupid ways.

Natural selection working its best
“Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”  [Image: 1f3a9.png]

I don't understand the whole selfie craze either. I don't even like someone else taking my picture, so I'm damn sure not going to take one of myself and post it for everyone to see.

not just selfies...the 'smart' phone seems to have replaced people's actual vision and experience. go to any concert these days and chances are there are just as many people looking at the artist/band through the camera image on their phone than with their actual eyes. it's sad. you're supposed to enjoy the experience, and be present in the moment. you're not gonna get that from looking at your video files later on.

and most of those people won't ever use those videos after the fact. it's just something to upload on some public online website. videos with horrible sound quality that nobody wants to hear and with shaky camera work suitable for presenting a subjectively nauseating point of view. if you're gonna do it at all, then do it with some quality and taste in mind.

all it is is wasted potential of experiencing life to the fullest.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

^ Exactly! People act as if we've never had the ability to video things before. You didn't see people running around with mini camcorders everywhere 15 years ago, that would have been stupid, just as stupid as these smart phones today.

I once commented on a video on YouTube of a bunch of clubbers stood still videoing a singer performing, calling them zombies or something silly. The singer responded saying "what a lovely comment. They are just capturing memories". To my mind, when you stop engaging in something to get out your device to faff around with in order to take a picture/video of the thing, then you are no longer engaging in the thing that you have stopped engaging in.

Before smart phones i hated being stopped by my mates in order to pose for a photo on one of those disposable cameras. It took ages for them to successfully find the shutter button to snap the right picture, turn the flash on, avoid blur etc. Meanwhile im missing out on some top tunes.