Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semester abroad Oklahoma City
Hi
my name is Soren, I'm from Germany and I'll do a semester abroad in Oklahoma City. Of coursethis is not he reason for signing in a gay forumSmile
I would like to know how the U.S. stands to gays and lesbians. Here in Germany this is still a difficult issue.
Should I avoid it on the road to show my affections?

I would appreciate tips and hints from you very muchSmile

love

Soren

Oklahoma City is a good size city but for it being mid west I would exercise caution. Its nothing like New York or LA/ San Fran where I think its more excepted.

I could be wrong because I have not been there for many years so maybe someone hear will be able to fill in but over all use caution where ever you go.

i have never been to Germany so cant say how the two compare.

Oklahoma City
is in the middle of no where so it will be all abut the Six degrees of separation around you. Pick your straight room mates, friends with care and you should be able to be your self; if that is your question.

Well, I have never been there but a quick search revealed several gay bars and a small community centered around what is called the 39th St. Enclave. Oklahoma City has the largest gay population in the state. There are several activist organizations there, gay pride, and I would be willing to bet that what ever school you are going to will have a glbt organization.

As to your question "Should I avoid it on the road to show my affection?" If you mean "should I avoid public displays of affection on the street"? Um, I would take your cue from the person you are being affectionate with. If they seem to be comfortable with a public display of affection on the street, it is likely not a big deal. I think the worse I ever got for holding a boyfriends hand in public was was an "ew" from a rather unattractive woman in a floral print dress, and that was in a much smaller Midwestern city about a decade ago. I would definitely not go beyond holding hands or a light peck on the cheek or lips, however. Anything beyond that is typically frowned on in public, even for heterosexual couples. Best of luck!

i lived spent the summer there with my aunt about 20 years ago. (i was just a kid then) from what i remember about it it is a beautiful city. i would go off of INCHANTE's advice.

welcome to the U.S., and to GS!!

Thx for your answers Smile

I have a gay friend,too. He would like to visit me in the U.S. How would people react if we were going down the streets hand in hand?

Greetz

Oklahoma City will be like most other cities in the U.S.
It is far more conservative than cities such as San Francisco and New York. I would use caution concerning public displays of affection with someone of the same sex. It is a fairly large city, somewhat like Dallas, and has a fairly strong western heritage, a throwback from the days of Cowboys and Indians. As a matter of fact, the Cowboy Hall of Fame is located in OKC and is worth a viisit, if you like that sort of thing. I delivered to OKC for many years and have met a lot of nice people there. The city is very flat and the wind blows much of the time.
I hope you enjoy your visit.

I used to live there until about a year ago. It is a great city, lots to see and do. Get down to Bricktown, and make sure you see the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. People are nice, but it's a little dangerous south of the Oklahoma River until you get to Norman (where the University of Oklahoma is).

I do not think that it is a good city to start off broadcasting that you are gay. Get to know the people a little and get to know your way around and you may find the right people to open up with. I never did - I only lived there about a year, but I absolutely loved it there.

Good luck!