Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sexually transmitted diseases in London
I don't think its nihilistic, I think it is predominately the equation Youth = Stupid.

I bet most are in their 20's or contracted the disease(s) in their 20's. I distinctly recall doing a whole hella lot of stupid in my 20's because I felt immortal and pretty much eternally youthful.

The first decade of adulthood is a severely climbing learning curve. We start out as 'children' and end up being adults somewhere along the line (the majority do).

Few have a real grasp on what it is to be an adult, we think we know, but end up discovering that we didn't know. Think of the teenager who knows everything, by the time they hit 30's they find themselves knowing little more than their parents...

Humans also have this blind spot which boils down to 'Sure it happens to others, but it will never happen to me.' this allows us to live in Tornado Alley with out screaming nightmares, allows us to live on flood plains, on the side of unstable sliding hills, on the sides of volcanoes or in the shadow of active ones.

When I was sliding a needle into my arm I just knew I was magical and not going to become addicted - sure I knew that addiction was possible, but to everyone else, not me. I was immortal, eternally youthful and smarter than the average human...

I bet the same sort of thoughts runs through the minds of those who enjoy unprotected sex with well, everyone... Sure they know intellectually that there are STDS but they are confident that they are magical thus immune... Until they test positive then they get the message (a wee bit to late) that they ain't magical.

I don't think it has to do with youth so much as it has to do with population density, poverty, and much higher concentrations of vulnerable groups. Ethnic minorities, gays, and low income (keep in mind that low income gay black men are the most at risk for HIV in many places) people are more likely to engage in higher risk sexual behavior for a number of reasons (less education, less family stability, fewer opportunities), and they happen to be found in much higher concentration in large urban centres like London.

LONDONER Wrote:I've just heard on the news that STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) are seventy four percent higher than in the rest of the country and the section most affected is the under 25s. What is it with the younger section of the community that it is willing to take such risks?

There's that old thinking, when young, that you're invincible and not mortal, for one thing, then there's also a lot of ignorance and lack of personal information. They are all eager finally to get that experience, which might make them rather reckless too. When you haven't had the opportunity to express your sexual orientation and libido during teenage, on account of lack of suitable partners, still not being sure you're gay, then also dealing with the stigma attached to being gay (still today), there must surely be a rush of lust that makes them even more prone to STDs because of recklessness. Plus, when young, do you immediately think about STDs? Do you think of getting tested? Only if you are scared. Many of them are not scared and think that even AIDS can be cured. It's silly but maybe school isn't doing its job in warning young people, early enough. Plus, in the UK, there's a whole section who went to school under Section 28, where the so-called "gay lifestyle" was completely unmentionable in class. That's done a lot of harm.

MisterLove Wrote:I had terrible experiences with STDs back in the 90s. I was so stupid. I caught gonorrhea, genital warts, pubic lice, everything.
Everything except HIV and syphillis? Consider yourself lucky. All of those were probably treatable.

Chas Wrote:The type of people willingly just having sex for the sake of it probably make up a huge part of that statistic. I used to live in London and seeing the amount of those in the council estates just giving themselves up just for sex was just rediculous, I'm not surprised that there has been such an increase.

This added to poor education, doesn't help reduce the risks.