Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pansexuality
Using the terms as they're currently defined no. A bisexual person would only be interested in dating men who "present" as men or women who "present" as women. Otherwise pansexual is the more accurate term. It's a fine distinction and I agree that it has dubious merit, but there is a lot of social pressure to accept the new term.

In practice, humans are not predictable and there's is quite a lot of variety in sexual practice. I think an awful lot of people would describe themselves as bisexual but have no problem with dating a transgendered person. For that matter, there are an awful lot of men who describe themselves as straight and are very attracted to trans women.

When it comes down to it, if a person identifies with a certain term then does it have a negative impact on anyone else if the term doesn't fit exactly? Why should anyone care? Don't get too hung up on it.

Sylph Wrote:To me,

I also think the term "Pan"sexual, comes from the Greek God/Figure Pan, who was a symbol of sexuality, in regards to pretty everything.

s Wink

Well I asked the question, so maybe I should just accept the answers, but this is complete balderdash! If you're trying to lend pansexuality some legitimacy by connecting it with pantheism, that's totally ludicrous. Although Pan's mores were no higher than any other of the Greek gods, he was no symbol of sexuality. Zeus was the only one who came close to earning that title.

I'd be more inclined to agree with Partis - "... psuedo-intellectual bullshit... ,,,pansexuality is bisexuality..."

These are my opinions and no more, but the evidence is pretty strong:
Each of us is born with specific characteristics mainly determined by our chromosomes, and although we are able to make some changes, they could not seriously be considered to create additional sexes. There are two, or at most, three sexes. If future research finds that it's possible to surgically change our chromosomal make-up, then that will set all new variables, and we'll need to start all over again redefining.

~q

VileKyle Wrote:The idea of bisexuals is that they are attracted to the typical men and women within the gender binary. Pansexuals can be attracted to anyone, no matter if they stay within that gender binary or not.

As an example, a bisexual by the definition of the word would not be attracted to transexuals. A pansexual would be.

I have dated several transexuals, so by your definition, I'm a pan-sexual. I don't think I care for the term any more than partis does though. Like nfisher I'll continue to consider myself bi-sexual, and describe myself - when asked - as gay.

~q