Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shetlander here
Just for the record, Lerwick, what age group are you in? I'm 49 next month.

Hi Albert!

You'll probably find better pictures of Shetland than I can give you just by doing a google image search on Lerwick or Shetland.

Yes, I live in Lerwick. Sometimes I would like to live outside the town, but really I find it handy being close to work, shops, pubs etc.

There is gay life in Shetland. It tends to come and go a lot. There are quite a lot of gay guys here, but being a small place many are well stuck in the closet. No gay 'scene' as such. A lot of young guys go to the mainland for university/college and dont return, likewise a lot of gay guys just find it too quiet here being gay, and head to the mainland, resulting in a bit of a catch 22.

I can't say i'm lonely. I have lots of friends, gay and straight. I live alone and kinda enjoy the independance that goes with that. Not quite sure how to answer your 'am I out' question! I am out to a lot of people, but really I dont see the fact i'm gay as something I need to announce. I'm me and come as a complete package. Being gay is only part of that package.

You sound like a great guy Lerwick. Hope you stay around and we all get to be good friends.

Lerwick Wrote:...
I can't say I'm lonely. I have lots of friends, gay and straight. I live alone and kinda enjoy the independence that goes with that. Not quite sure how to answer your 'Am I out' question! I am out to a lot of people, but really, I dont see the fact I'm gay as something I need to announce. I'm me and come as a complete package. Being gay is only part of that package.

Thanks for those details about you. I think you may be like quite a few of us on GS, ie gay is just part of the package, not something that needs to be announced, just part of the person which needs room for expression sometimes.

I was not interested in the gay scene either (rather appalled by it, I suppose) but I was curious as to how people dealt with being gay in modern society, given all the hang ups and closeting that still exist. It's a great thing that things have evolved a bit in the years that I've lived.

You did not specify your age group, so I guess you've either forgotten, or feel it is irrelevant. Hahaha.

Thanks for your suggestion to go and look up the Shetland Isles on Google. I thought your own pictures, if any, might be more interesting. They'd be your outlook on life.

It's great to hear from people all ages and all walks of life and from all sorts of parts of the world. We also have a Sudanese that visits the site and a Russian so it gives us all more perspective.