Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shooting at Florida gay club
NativeSon Wrote:Is this what Europeans are all about?

nothing to do with being a European. this is a basic awareness of security. with the way life is right now, all public spaces, clubs, mass event venues, etc do need to get their heads out of the sand and start thinking about how to improve their security one way or another. this is most rational logic.

we do not need to go into a panic, we are not at that point. but ignoring the obvious implication in all this is just as ludicrous. put a fucking raincoat on and grab an umbrella when it's raining outside.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Pix Wrote:This is what I can't figure out (though I have many guesses). There was a time when it was much easier to get a gun, including Tommy guns, but so few mass shootings (the deadliest school massacre in the US wasn't even done with a gun), even in times of hardship. ETA: also worth noting is that violence in general has been going down since the early 1990s, while the number of mass shootings have skyrocketed.

there is a speculation on this -- and it is just that, a speculation -- that men in our time and cultural environment have much less opportunities for the expression of their more violent impulses. it goes along the lines that in past times people did live in constant war, more or less, and in societies that held masculine violence in a much higher regard than our contemporary society does.

this creates a certain vacuum where certain innate impulses get suppressed and denied. our society publicly condemns violence of any kind now. even a mere look at a certain person might get called sexual harassment, and there are more such minor examples. so, given a long-term suppression of this kind, some men do actually explode in violence. but i also am of the opinion that such suppression is at least partly in the individual as it is in the environment. most men do find an outlet to their physical energy without becoming murderers, they find a way to come to terms with it and balance it out in their life. but some seem to not be able to handle it.

of course, there is a difference between different violent acts. the pilot who deliberately crashed his Airbus into the Alps with 200 other people on board was a bit of a different case than this guy who went to shoot homosexual men in a gay night club. terrorism itself is an organized violence with an ideology to it, also a bit different.

why some men can't control themselves while most others (though they, too, might have a difficult time) readily do, is a distinction that should be looked into.

again, this is all a speculation, but an interesting one with some thought-provoking implications on our cultural environment. masculinity itself has been redefined in our time, maybe away from that primitive one, and there are many additional caveats to that as well. you can't really steer human nature too far off the course that is ingrained in it physically. to think that's possible, is an illusion. so, in some areas of life, men are now living very differently from how they were living in the past. all this bears on this topic.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

To further muddy the waters, there is now at least one report that the shooter had patronized the nightclub several times in the past and that several other patrons had seen him there.

This seems to have been one very conflicted individual.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:To further muddy the waters, there is now at least one report that the shooter had patronized the nightclub several times in the past and that several other patrons had seen him there.

This seems to have been one very conflicted individual.

Yes, probably a closet case who was unable to accept himself and hated himself for it. Yes, I know, probably a too simplistic answer but all the same, probably true.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

hate caused by islamic bullshitters ...

axle2152 Wrote:Why all of a sudden do we have more nutcases these days?

Simple answer: The Internet. In Medieval times only priests could preach fire and brimstone from the pulpits of churches but now millions of people can, at the click of a mouse, listen to some religious fanatic preaching against the evils of the Western world and urge people to rise up and sacrifice themselves in the name of their particular god and with the promise of eternal salvation in paradise.

The Internet has been a modern blessing that we don't want to live without but at the same time it has been a curse. We have to live with it.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams