Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shooting at Florida gay club
I am heartbroken to hear this. :'(
“Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”  [Image: 1f3a9.png]

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando...ry-n590476

Yes, confirmed that 50 killed and 42 injured, some critically. The police are saying unofficially that there might be a connection to ISIS. Nothing is confirmed yet. Apparently the killer saw two men kissing in the street in front of his wife and children and was angry.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/...lse-gunman
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

i don't know about you guys but i feel that the police, etc, have no idea what they're doing when it comes to this. all we are doing is dealing with the consequences. we're picking up corpses from the sidewalk, instead of figuring out how to prevent them from getting there in the first place. we're chasing extremist cell block leaders and known terrorists loose around the Western hemisphere, but there are obvious gaping holes in this strategy.

how have we gotten to a point where every other month there is a shooting or a terror attack somewhere? this type of behavior should be isolated events, not a common occurrence.

maybe it's time to start thinking about upping the security and discrimination on the clientele in these clubs and all kinds of other public venues where crowds gather. a man can't just walk in with a gun if he's properly screened before entering.

LONDONER Wrote:Apparently the killer saw two men kissing in the street in front of his wife and children and was angry.

right, because he was oblivious to the fact that he was living in a country where homosexuality is legal? give me a break.

all of those who have a problem should move out of the Western civilization. world does not turn around your wishes and preference. if you don't like it move to an Islamic country where things are better suited to your taste. the nerve of these people to think they can have the privilege that comes with living in a Western country and kill our people they happen to disagree with.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

I live an hour away from where this happened in Orlando, and there's a Pulse club here in Lakeland as well. Seeing something like this fueled by hate is just despicable, and my deepest condolences and best wishes go out to all the family's and victim's. In the face of hate and fear we have to stand strong, and come together as a community.

They identified the shooter

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...77936.html

meridannight Wrote:i don't know about you guys but i feel that the police, etc, have no idea what they're doing when it comes to this. all we are doing is dealing with the consequences. we're picking up corpses from the sidewalk, instead of figuring out how to prevent them from getting there in the first place. we're chasing extremist cell block leaders and known terrorists loose around the Western hemisphere, but there are obvious gaping holes in this strategy.

how have we gotten to a point where every other month there is a shooting or a terror attack somewhere? this type of behavior should be isolated events, not a common occurrence.

maybe it's time to start thinking about upping the security and discrimination on the clientele in these clubs and all kinds of other public venues where crowds gather. a man can't just walk in with a gun if he's properly screened before entering.

right, because he was oblivious to the fact that he was living in a country where homosexuality is legal? give me a break.

all of those who have a problem should move out of the Western civilization. world does not turn around your wishes and preference. if you don't like it move to an Islamic country where things are better suited to your taste. the nerve of these people to think they can have the privilege that comes with living in a Western country and kill our people they happen to disagree with.

I certainly have no problem with a hard-line approach to a recurring problem, but what you suggest is a little extreme. The current political climate here is such that even making that suggestion would likely result in getting your head bit off by various individuals or groups.

My question is how is it that a guy who is known to the FBI as an Isis sympathizer can so easily get his hands on the weapons used?

What a grim day. (BTW, it is Pride Weekend in L.A.)

meridannight Wrote:... a man can't just walk in with a gun if he's properly screened before entering. ...
We don't know that he just "walked in." The verb that's been used in media reportage repeatedly is "stormed."

NBCNews.com‎ - 47 mins ago
... in the history of the United States — began when the gunman stormed the Pulse Nightclub ...

Gunman in Orlando Pledged Allegiance to ISIS Before Attack - The ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/.../or...oting.html
The New York Times
14 hours ago - The gunman stormed the Pulse nightclub armed with an AR-15-style assault rifle and a handgun around 2 a.m., turning what had been a ...
I don't know. I wasn't there. I've yet to read an eye-witness account of exactly how he gained entrance to the club. What I do know from personal experience is that gay clubs and bars usually have door men to, if nothing else, insure that those entering are of legal age. I assume an automatic weapon of the cabler he is reported to have used would be difficult to conceal. So "stormed" -- that is, gained access forcibly -- might be the accurate word.

NativeSon Wrote:I...My question is how is it that a guy who is known to the FBI as an Isis sympathizer can so easily get his hands on the weapons used? ...

It's worse than that:

Omar Mateen: Orlando gay night club gunman worked for global security firm G4S
Private security group says it is ‘co-operating fully’ with law enforcement

The global security firm and employer of the man who killed at least 50 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando has said it is “shocked and saddened” by the mass murder and is working with law enforcement.

Omar Mateen worked with private security group G4S Secure Solutions as a private security officer in Florida. The role requires 28 hours of classroom training by a licensed instructor.

Officials said he had two firearms licenses, a security officer license and a statewide firearms license, all expiring in September 2017.
Source

meridannight Wrote:all of those who have a problem should move out of the Western civilization. world does not turn around your wishes and preference. if you don't like it move to an Islamic country where things are better suited to your taste. the nerve of these people to think they can have the privilege that comes with living in a Western country and kill our people they happen to disagree with.

Touche.
My sympathy goes out to the friends and family of the victims.

MikeW Wrote:We don't know that he just "walked in." The verb that's been used in media reportage repeatedly is "stormed."

I don't know. I wasn't there. I've yet to read an eye-witness account of exactly how he gained entrance to the club. What I do know from personal experience is that gay clubs and bars usually have door men to, if nothing else, insure that those entering are of legal age. I assume an automatic weapon of the cabler he is reported to have used would be difficult to conceal. So "stormed" -- that is, gained access forcibly -- might be the accurate word.

this is why i said 'properly screened'. this means that the door stays locked from the outside and the code is with the bouncer. this way, shooting the security at the door won't get you any further than the door. there is a possible scenario where he might be forced to reveal the code at gunpoint, but to prevent/circumnavigate this threat there are many other options available.

this is a simple solution that doesn't even cost that much these days. why places aren't already installing such security solutions is beyond me. but this is where things are headed if this trend keeps up. and it doesn't show signs of quelling.
''Do I look civilized to you?''