Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shortage of toilet paper
At the outbreak of the pandemic there was panic buying of, of all things, toilet paper.  At one point I really thought we'd be reduced to this:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams
[-] The following 4 members Like LONDONER's post:
  • andy, Bhp91126, InbetweenDreams, LJay

Be sure to keep your stash of toilet paper in a hermetically sealed box. Otherwise, these gross little bugs will eat it all up.

Does anybody know what started this run on toilet paper? Huh  The only thing I remember is that in February I read somewhere that most toilet paper comes from China, so people were afraid of production shortages. Anybody have additional information? Huh
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Only theory I have is that the media reported that there would be shortages and then everyone hit the stores and bought it all up... Wal-Mart in our area has toilet paper but they limit you to one package...

I've been thinking about getting a bidet, not sure how I feel about ice cold water going up there lol

They're pretty inexpensive and definitely would reduce the amount of toilet paper needed.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

(05-04-2020, 09:48 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: Only theory I have is that the media reported that there would be shortages and then everyone hit the stores and bought it all up... Wal-Mart in our area has toilet paper but they limit you to one package...

I've been thinking about getting a bidet, not sure how I feel about ice cold water going up there lol

They're pretty inexpensive and definitely would reduce the amount of toilet paper needed.
There are so-called "portable bidets" which are simply squirt bottles with a specialized nozzle.  You could easily fill it with warm water, you poor tender fella!

Or you could buy one of those $5,000 Japanese toilets which have warm water and warm air for drying also.

I am curious, never having used a bidet, just what the normal routine is for drying.
I bid NO Trump!

@LJay I suppose that's where the toilet paper comes in... and while I'm at it...Folks here in the US it isn't all that common to use a bidet. However, I think it is gaining popularity.

I've never used one myself either. My brother in-law put it this way. If you got shit on your hands would you rather use water to get it off or toilet paper...it was something along those lines.

I really envy the Japanese for their high tech toilets. Heck with warm water, heated seats, music, all sorts of stuff. I bet they come here to the US there like what the hell?! Same with Europeans...gaps in the stalls. Single ply toilet paper and no bidet.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I think the rush on toilet paper was caused by people being told that they should isolate themselves at home. It's just one of the things that you would not like to run out of. That's one reason why I prefer to buy TP at Costco 36 rolls at a time. The other is that I like the quality and price. Elefant

Around here at least the stores were also out of milk, bread and anything easy and basic to cook, like ramen and Kraft mac and cheese. These days people eat at "restaurants" like McD's or Wendy's. Told that they would have to stay home, they bought food because they didn't really have a good pantry to depend on. Thus, restaurants are hurting. Then we have to consider the fact that pollution is down because the cars are staying put. What a strange world!
I bid NO Trump!

We usually buy 2 or 3 of our favourite toilet packs (coconut) so have been lucky and not run out! Smile  Most of the problem has been caused by people trying to profiteer from the crisis... https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/127...nic-buying
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.
[-] The following 1 member Likes andy's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

I'm one of those that like to keep stocked up in case of an unexpected emergency (say a major earthquake).  And so it was only this month that I finally had (well, did, I still have plenty but don't want to get too low) to go get toilet paper, soap, and the like.

There have been some profiteers that actually went around in a truck buying out things like toilet paper and soap, as in buying all they had, and then selling it at like a thousand percent markup online and even from their vehicles.  Of course they have some song and dance about how they're getting it to those who don't have it so easily available, ignoring that MANY didn't have it available BECAUSE of THEM.  Thankfully, stores have put a stop to that.

There's a perverse part of me that wants to see a house wrapped in toilet paper by kids just to see the community (and parents now minus a lot of TP) explode in outrage never seen by kids before.  Big Grin

Unfortunately, the big businesses seem to be profiteering from this as well.  Some stores are doing good things, but the prices...whoa!  I got less than I intended (since we aren't out) hoping the prices go down soon.

What bothers me the most is the soap.  Now maybe it's just more absurd profiteering, but when I saw the prices and also how little soap was available....I got a creeped out feeling of, "Just how many people WEREN'T washing their hands or taking baths before this happened?"  Undecided Tongue  (But seriously, it was a disturbing thought to me.  If it's primarily base profiteering then that's infuriating, but if so many people don't wash up before serving food or shaking hands and all that...that's a disturbing thought that would make me second guess people before touching them or letting them handle my food in say a restaurant, though I suppose it should help make our immune systems stronger.)

It was pretty insane here in the UK for a while, shelves were empty for a good long while, toilet roll obviously being one of the things that was lacking in shops. I think it snowballed, people were afraid that because the toilet roll was lacking, that when they did see some they bought an excess amount, which then in turn made the situation worse. I couldn't get any toilet roll at one point when I really needed it, so turned to Ebay. I was NOT paying £35 for 9 rolls of toilet roll! I noticed pharmacies and the like were increasing prices on childen's calpol too, another thing there was a shortage of for a while. Sadly, people saw to cash in on it.

I had a very similar thought @"Pix" . It makes you think just how unsanitary people can be. There was the wash your hands for 20 seconds campaign when this virus started. This shouldn't have been a campaign really, people should be doing this already!