Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I or should I not?
So tonight I've decided to come out to one of my most trustworthy friends, Benedict.
It well quite well as Ben responded in kind and to his credit, he said none of these: http://www.buzzfeed.com/saeedjones/19-th...out-to-you
It went so well that I'm now wondering if I should come out to my parents as well; it would definitely make me feel better as I can be more 'true to myself' around them.

But there is one concern. I remember my boyfriend advising me not to come out to my parents, before I started dating him. Quoting him:
"My last (and only) relationship didn't end on good terms. The parents' of the guy that I was seeing did not respond well to his coming out and demanded us to end the relationship immediately".
As Christmas and New Year are around the corner, my boyfriend and I are spending more time together such that I'm worried my parents might start suspecting me. I really don't want a fuss when my parents accidentally find out on their own instead of me telling them.

The truth is, I think my parents are rather liberal (they actually watch shows like HIMYM and Happy Ending; also they listen to singers such as Taylor Swift and PSY).
Moreover they are non-religious so they definitely won't start quoting the Bible against me.
My dad has never made any homophobic comments before while my mum has told our family sometime last year that she saw a lesbian couple making out on a bus and was grossed out (could it be she was disgusted by blatant PDA instead of homosexuals in general?).

If I am to come out to my parents, should I be straight forward or be subtle like, "hey mum, dad, why don't we watch this excellent classic movie on Christmas/New Year's eve called 'Prayers For Bobby'"?
Or should I not come out to them and continue keeping my relationship in the dark?

Thank you for reading.

From what you say it sounds to me they would be accepting of you and NOT demand you end the relationship, what you may ask yourself is could your parents come between you and your partner if they took that stand and hey those 2 lesbians might just been really gross anyway... even before they kissed :p

I think its something you really have to decide yourself when & where, best of luck :-)

A "one kill" question to them would be significant, if they are the kind of people you say they are.

Just ask them "Do you think I could bring my boyfriend over to visit"?

Their answer on this one question should answer many of your questions.

Does that make sense?

Well, as I can remember Singapur, beautiful Singapur, is "difficult" regarding LGBT anything..

so I had one question halfway trough your post regarding how safe would it be for you in your household...apparently it will be if your parents are the way you say the are...

of course, it could come as a shock...it will, most likely, but maybe they can overcome it...

my only question left is. will it be safe for you out there? Meaning, if somehow your parents slip it out to the neighbours or something..

anyhow...if you know for a fact that your physical and mental integrity and safety are not compromised, then I guess it's ok for you to do it...

best of lucks and let us know how it goes

Thank you guys for the responses and support!

I think my parents would like my boyfriend (if they respond well to my coming out in the first place) because he's a really nice and genuine guy.

Singapore has laws against homosexuals but there had been little or none gay hate crimes in the country so physical safety would not be a big concern.

I believe my parents are not the kind that would reveal (intentionally or unintentionally) my sexuality to others easily if I'm to come out and I've decided to come out to my parents during the Chinese New Year period (mid January).

Hey Blake,

You don't mention how old you are and whether your still living at home.

If you come out to your parents and its a negative experience, do you have a Plan B?

Good Luck,

ObW
X

Just do what I did..

"So listen, I need your opinion on something for a project at school. I need to know how you feel about homosexual relationships"

or something like that and go from there. If they are accepting of gays, then just go ahead and tell them. If not, don't do it. Your boyfriend is worried they will make you break up.

I'm not really in a position to give advice but I will say that your parents can only break you two up if you let them.. I know that's easier said than done but hopefully they will be cool with it!
Good luck buddy let us know how you get on!

OlderButWiser Wrote:Hey Blake,

You don't mention how old you are and whether your still living at home.

If you come out to your parents and its a negative experience, do you have a Plan B?

Good Luck,

ObW
X

I'm 17 and still living with my parents. My boyfriend is 24.
Haven't thought of a Plan B but cameroncr95's idea is awesome and I'd do that Smile

Blake Wrote:I'm 17 and still living with my parents. My boyfriend is 24.
Haven't thought of a Plan B but cameroncr95's idea is awesome and I'd do that Smile

Thanks Smile

Seriously, just do what I said. It will work.
You can also ask them how they feel about it because you have a gay friend at school.