Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I tell the Grandparents?
Honestly...I never gave it any thought before as they passed on before I was an adult and knew I was gay..but had they been alive...I am not sure what I would have done...

My one set of grandparents...my grandmother was bi-racial (Black and French Cajun Caucasion)...and her lifelong best friends were a lesbian couple...they loved each other very much...so there would not be any problem with either her or my Grandpa...

My other grandparents were German and Scottish and from New York via Europe...I have no idea what I would do with them. I would probably tell but not plan on it. I often hear things come out of my mouth the same time as whoever I am talking to LOL No matter what I plan to do or not do...I have an unpredictable side to me so ...anything is possible...

I do think your son should be the one who figures out whether or not it is important for him to tell them.

IF it is important...maybe just introduce them to his boyfriend and let them fill in the blanks. Sometimes making it a natural and a non issue gives them a chance to do the same IMO

Albie Wrote:Bring it up to your son. He may not even realize his grandparents ask about his social life, as you folks live far away from them. Let him know that they are inquiring about it and that you can't keep skirting your parents forever and come up with a gameplan.

I would have loved this opportunity. Instead a gay relative told my grandparents for me, without my knowledge. It grinds my gears because I know he told them primarily because it was the "hot gossip" at the time. But such is life. Had I known they were asking, I would have told them. Again there is a sense of relief and accomplishment when you tell people who mean a lot to you, and having someone steal that opportunity is just not fun.

Will they still be alive when he has his gay-wedding?
~Beaux

Beaux Wrote:Will they still be alive when he has his gay-wedding?
~Beaux

It's a good question. If he is truly nervous about telling them, and they will be in heaven before he ever commits to a serious relationship, then is it really worth telling them?

phillyboy1234 Wrote:It's a good question. If he is truly nervous about telling them, and they will be in heaven before he ever commits to a serious relationship, then is it really worth telling them?

I know it sounds awful, but I'm hoping that this does happen....

Some good advice from everyone, I think I will just say that he's dating a few people but nothing serious and leave it at that.