Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I tell the truth?
Academic Wrote:I was drawn here by this question, I have an interest in the area of academic honesty.

If you take advantage of this situation you will devalue all the effort of all those who have done real work to gain academic distinction at whatever level. You will devalue all the hard work of those who will in future make the effort to achieve academic excellence at any level.

The work that universities and colleges do has been devalued enough in the last few years by government and other interference, you wouldn't be helping by taking advantage of this situation.

You asked for advice, here it is. Report this to the authorities at your institution and live with the consequences. They're unlikely to be harsh on you, you're protecting the integrity of their product. The consequences for your lecturer will be harsh, he may lose his job. This will protect the many people who may lose their jobs or find jobs difficult to get when it emerges that they've got worthless degrees.

If you really want to get a degree without work there are numerous degree mills out there who will sell you one for a very reasonable price.

Failing this, come back to us in January when you've actually sat the exam and let us know if what he showed you really were the questions. If it turns out the paper has different questions than the ones you've been led to expect what are you going to do? When you walk into an exam there's nothing to beat knowing your subject.

To those on this thread advocating dishonesty, frankly words fail me.

Wouldn't he automatically fail the test, and as the test is what determines if he passes the course, the course as well, if he told on the lecturer?

As...you know...he knows the answers when he shouldn't.
He wouldn't be allowed to do the test, and i doubt they have a secondary test he could take.

Seems like a lot to put on the line to make sure everyone else's grades are valid when his grade could be equally valid.

In fact, if he does tell on the lecturer, doesn't that put everyone he has taught's grades in jeopardy as he could of helped any one of them to cheat?

I'm sorry for advocating cheating, but i don't feel much good will come from telling on the lecturer bar stopping people who shouldn't pass the test, passing.
The negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Academic Wrote:I was drawn here by this question, I have an interest in the area of academic honesty.

If you take advantage of this situation you will devalue all the effort of all those who have done real work to gain academic distinction at whatever level. You will devalue all the hard work of those who will in future make the effort to achieve academic excellence at any level.

The work that universities and colleges do has been devalued enough in the last few years by government and other interference, you wouldn't be helping by taking advantage of this situation.

You asked for advice, here it is. Report this to the authorities at your institution and live with the consequences. They're unlikely to be harsh on you, you're protecting the integrity of their product. The consequences for your lecturer will be harsh, he may lose his job. This will protect the many people who may lose their jobs or find jobs difficult to get when it emerges that they've got worthless degrees.

If you really want to get a degree without work there are numerous degree mills out there who will sell you one for a very reasonable price.

Failing this, come back to us in January when you've actually sat the exam and let us know if what he showed you really were the questions. If it turns out the paper has different questions than the ones you've been led to expect what are you going to do? When you walk into an exam there's nothing to beat knowing your subject.

To those on this thread advocating dishonesty, frankly words fail me.

To an extent I agree with you but I don't know, but this goes in all of the time, I have never been party to this ever in my life I have never in my life cheated academically. The way I am seeing it I didn't ask him to put the paper up on the projector screen I genuinely had a question about the exam and he just did this. As for working hard I have sacrificed so much out of my life to do my degree and I am the type of student who goes in at 7am in the morning to revise and do work till about 2pm everyday when my lectures happen. I haven't willingly asked for this to happen I haven't stolen an exam paper then used it, it was up on the projector. I have always put my studies in front of everything in my life, when my cousin passed away last year I didn't even go to the funeral so I could do an exam which I couldn't have been excused for because the university deemed it unnecessary. Although I agree with your principles I am not the paragon of justice and I honestly think I will have to turn a blind eye to this, I cannot risk my academic career for the silliness of my lecturer.

Craig Wrote:I think you shouldnt feel guilty. Another thing, is there a chance he might trick you and give you an exam other than the one he showed? This is a possibility to consider I think.

Nope This was the real deal, it had 2011-2012 on and the paper had the certified clearance thing that the exam board has given it from the uni. Plus If I remember right he did something similar with another year group from what I heard. Maybe he just wants the students to do well? I have no idea.

Anonymous Wrote:To an extent I agree with you but I don't know, but this goes in all of the time, I have never been party to this ever in my life I have never in my life cheated academically. The way I am seeing it I didn't ask him to put the paper up on the projector screen I genuinely had a question about the exam and he just did this. As for working hard I have sacrificed so much out of my life to do my degree and I am the type of student who goes in at 7am in the morning to revise and do work till about 2pm everyday when my lectures happen. I haven't willingly asked for this to happen I haven't stolen an exam paper then used it, it was up on the projector. I have always put my studies in front of everything in my life, when my cousin passed away last year I didn't even go to the funeral so I could do an exam which I couldn't have been excused for because the university deemed it unnecessary. Although I agree with your principles I am not the paragon of justice and I honestly think I will have to turn a blind eye to this, I cannot risk my academic career for the silliness of my lecturer.

So, you're doing all this work but you're happy for degrees to be awarded for doing little work and not knowing your subject? You'll concede it's a terrible thing but make an exception because it's you that's involved?

You are behaving unethically, you are cheating in exams, you are being dishonest. It's a good job you're so special because if you weren't I'd have to say you're a moral vacuum, unworthy to recieve a degree because you're happy to see the currency devalued to get one. No amount of special pleading will excuse that.

Your best hope is that what you're involved in doesn't leak out. If it does, you'll be unemployable and deservedly so. This lecturer has in all likelyhood done this before and will do it again, it will come out eventually.

Don't wait for a spine donor, do the right thing now.

Anonymous Wrote:I haven't willingly asked for this to happen I haven't stolen an exam paper then used it, it was up on the projector. I have always put my studies in front of everything in my life, when my cousin passed away last year I didn't even go to the funeral so I could do an exam which I couldn't have been excused for because the university deemed it unnecessary. Although I agree with your principles I am not the paragon of justice and I honestly think I will have to turn a blind eye to this, I cannot risk my academic career for the silliness of my lecturer.

He has made a mockery of your dedication and hard work and now due to his actions he has put you into a position where you will be compromising your character. I think character is important but it doesn't matter what I think. It is your decision and you do have free will.

Just curious...are you angry at all that he has put you in this position?

Yeah to an extent I am angry and a bit upset because I'm not a cheat and everyone else seems to be really stressed for this exam whereas now I am quite relaxed. I feel bad that I am going to have a stress free Xmas and just look at the topics I know are coming up whereas others will be going over everything. It's a weird feeling not used to it at all.

As an educator, I am appalled that your lecturer has put you in such an ethical dilemma.
He had no right stacking the deck like that.
There is a huge difference in reviewing a subject with all the students in preparation for an exam, to choosing who will and will not get the high marks.
He has basically robbed you of your marks a and all your hard work.
I am so very sorry you were put in this situation , it is totally unacceptable.
This is really awful , but the guilt is not yours it's his.
I am pretty sure you did not expect this to happen when you asked for help.

Basically he writes the exam, he marks the exam so what can I do? In a way there is relief at the fact I know exactly what is on the exam and that I can have a stress free Christmas But part of me is kind of sad because everyone and I mean everyone doesn't have a clue about this subject. I do have all the books out of the library and my notes but I just have to look at 6 questions 5/6 I know exactly what they are. I guess I will pass, but I feel bad as all.

Anonymous Wrote:... I am angry and a bit upset because I feel bad It's a weird feeling not used to it at all.
so the instructor's morals dont match yours, take the good and run, very few times in life this happens. dont say anything to anyone.

This is how I'd handle it.

I'd try and do the exam as much as I could on my own, and when I had real trouble, that's where the notes come in.

Is it cheating a bit? Well, I dunno. I mean, maybe the same chance wasn't afforded to everyone, but the point of reviews is to literally give people the answers to questions that will be on the exam. I don't have university experience, but in high school it wasn't uncommon for our teachers to place word-for-word questions from previous tests or review questions on the big final. It wasn't a matter of proving you knew the material at that point, it was a matter of remembering what the answer was last time.

You want the highest grades? Use it. Be sure of it. Get through the subject and move on. I mean, what's gonna feel worse? The fact the you feel like you cheated a bit on your exam, or wasted time and money over having to re-take the class and delay graduation and getting a real job and that sort of shit?