Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sign the Petition
I'm starting a "Sign the Petition" thread. Feel free to add causes you believe in, etc, though my primary purpose is for supporting gay causes of course.

The first one is about Exodus International making an "ex-gay" gap that had a rating as "inoffensive" ... Apple has removed an app before siding with the LGBT community, let's make sure they do it again Smile
Change.org Petitions – Online Petitions for Social Change

Signed it already... As long as i dont get hate mail through my door im alright otherwise im filing a law suit lol and clmaing compensation lol

Signed it, of course.

Here's one from the Human Rights Campaign about repealing DOMA:
Quote:Hi --
Tens of thousands of loving, same-sex couples across the country have finally been able to join in marriage -- but the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), a hateful law enacted in 1996, prevents the federal government from recognizing a single one of these unions.
President Obama instructed his administration to stop defending this unconstitutional law in court, but House Republicans are wasting time and resources in an effort to preserve it and keep discrimination on the books. The only solution is to repeal DOMA once and for all -- can you help?
Just click the link below to send a message telling Congress to advance legislation that would repeal this discriminatory law.
Repeal DOMA Now
DOMA is denying tens of thousands of Americans the full federal rights of marriage including Social Security survivors' benefits, equal treatment under U.S. immigration laws, the right to take family and medical leave to care for a spouse, and much more.
New legislation to repeal DOMA has just been introduced, and President Obama's courageous decision gives us new momentum. There's no time to lose! Please join me in telling Congress that DOMA must go:
Repeal DOMA Now
Once you've sent your message to Washington, please forward this message to your friends and family and ask them to join you.
Thanks for your help!

Make sure you look at the right page. I decided to check for myself that there really was an iPhone app by this horrible organisation and managed to find a travel company also called Exodus.

When I eventually found the Exodus International app I felt sympathy with the comment by one user on the Apple download page ...
Quote:"What a shameful, deceptive app. What's next, Apple? An app by KKK complete with gps tracker of nearby black people?"
I've been an Apple computer user since 1986. What a lot of odd turns the company has taken recently. :frown:

Thanks for bringing this campaign to our attention.

I was talked by a friend about apple and he said how good they were etc etc... He kept trying to convert me from windows to apple yet i decided it was best to stick with windows... I know windows cannot do all the features that apple does but Apple is more of an artists computer whereas windows is a different kettle of fish.. I was going to buy an applie I phone but have decided to invest my money in a windows HTC instead Smile

Some good news, though no official statement from Apple:
Quote:Apple appears to have pulled an iPhone and iPad app promising "freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus" after coming under fire from gay rights activists.

More than 146,000 people signed a petition calling on Apple to remove the so-called "gay cure" app backed by Exodus International, a Christian group that describes itself as "the world's largest worldwide ministry to those struggling with unwanted same-sex attraction".
Quote:The app has been on sale since 15 February but was last night no longer available. Apple has yet to comment on the furore that the app sparked and was unavailable for comment. The company has strict rules on governing the content of apps and regularly blocks apps it believes may cause offence or contain risqué content. Exodus had been marked "4+" by the company, a grade that meant Apple judged it contained no objectionable content.
Apple pulls 'gay cure' iPhone app | Technology | guardian.co.uk
Another related story: Scientist Says 'Gay Cure' App Misinterprets His Research | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Yes thanks for starting this good cause and petitions thread, I wonder how we didn't have one before, but then Michael ditched us on here and he'd have had them rolling in, I think...
Naughty Michael (Wink!)
My opinion on this app is, WHATEVER NEXT??? :mad::mad::mad:!!!!

Another one about repealing DOMA, this one with an "end the gay tax" angle:
Freedom to Marry | Speak Out Against the "Gay Tax"

The "gay tax" aspect is based on research from 2009 that shows that compared to heterosexual couples, same-sex partners pay up to $211,993 more for health coverage, $88,511 in additional Social Security costs, and $40,000 extra in child-care costs - due to inequality in taxes, insurance, etc.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/your-m...money.html

This one is to stop tearing apart couples due to immigration issues
Courage Campaign | Tell the U.S. Government to stop tearing apart same-sex couples

Quote:Because they are gay, Josh can't sponsor Henry's visa to stay in the US even though they are legally married in the state of Connecticut. No one deserves to be taken away from the ones they love.

On May 6th, Henry faces deportation to Venezuela. If we don't act, their family may be torn apart.

The Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, has the power to stop the deportations, but it will take a massive public outcry to force her to stand up for Josh and Henry - and the 36,000 other families who face a similar fate.