Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silence in the house of God
Maxima mea culpa

For those in the UK or those able to receive BBC TV. This is to be broadcast on BBC4 at 22.00 on Monday the 10th June.

When I saw this advertised I thougtht it was a repeat of a programme that I saw some time ago about an America paedophile priest who was moved from diocese to diocese by the Cartholic church when it was discovered that he had been abusing childred and in the end he was flown to Italy and given sanctury in the Vatican. However, this is a different programme that exposes the corruption within the Catholic church leading to the very highest office:

Storyville: Oscar-winning filmmaker Alex Gibney exposes abuse of power in the Catholic Church and a cover-up that winds its way from Wisconsin, through Ireland's churches, all the way to the highest office of the Vatican. The film investigates the secret crimes of a charismatic priest who abused over 200 deaf children in a school under his control and documents the first known public protest against clerical sex abuse in the US - a struggle of more than three decades by four deaf young men who set out to expose the priest who had abused them. Their efforts ultimately led to a lawsuit against the former pope, Benedict XVI himself.

I saw the thread title thinking someone was attacking us, I was surprised when I opened it.

I'll keep an eye out for it on iPlayer since I won't be around to see it at that time, it will be interesting to see what I havent already seen/heard about.

I suppose that it wasn't the best of titles but I couldn't think of anything else. A non religious title might have attracted more attention.

LONDONER Wrote:... filmmaker Alex Gibney exposes abuse of power in the Catholic Church and a cover-up that winds its way from Wisconsin, through Ireland's churches, all the way to the highest office of the Vatican ...
Religion has been doing this all through the melina. Defile sacrifice the top branches of society.
I dont see this as a gay issue, tho it seems we get the blame.

Watching it now, unbelivable! two words - cannon law.

Ive seen a few of these "expose's" in my life.

I've preached this stuff all my life, and people just think Im a freekin retard for thinking these things.
Organized religion = true, unmitigated, all encompassing evil.

In the past two years alone, when I log on when I get home from work everyday, there have been numerous stories about the Vatican and all catholic sects........
Nuns who sell black market babies.
The Vatican is used for money laundering by the Italian mafia.
HUNDREDS of priests being "outed" as the pedophiles and sycophants they are.
Nuns having abortions.
Priests and nuns being alcoholics and drug addicts.
Embezzling from the church.

Oh hell, I could go on for an hour.

AWMAHGAW! The church is corrupt and flawed in it's own moral values?!

Epic twist.

Also, I am sarcastic.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]It was a fascinating if stomach churning documentary and I learnt a great deal. I did not know that in spite of its claim, the Vatican is not in fact a State. It has no citizens who can call themselves Vaticanos, it has no army, it has no Parliament etc. What was most revealing was that it was granted its supposed "statehood" by Mussolini in return for the church recognising facism.

The programme went in to considerable detail about some priests had tried to denounce the paedophiles among them and how they had basically been told to shut up to protect the reputation of the church.

What was so appaling was that the priest, Father Murphy, who was being investigated deliberately chose deaf boys whose parents didn't know sign language so that the boys he abused could not tell their parents. Just as bad was the attitude of the police. When some boys decided to denounce him, they accepted Murphy's word over the boys' and took no action whatsoever.

The church's own attitude was even worse promoting some of the worst known paedophiles to high office in Rome. The role of pope Benedict in all of this was that he knew personally of every case of paedophilia within the church but took no action whatsoever.

The lawsuit filed against pope Benedict came to nothing. The documents sent to the Vatican awere returned to the solicitors as being "unwanted".

In my opinion the whole of the Vatican should be taken before the Court of Human Rights./FONT]

It was moving when the deaf boys confronted the priest-peodofile. Yes i knew that Mussolini got the church support, but we should not its not an all encompassing evil, there was those in the Vatican who desperatley tried to help Jews, including a famous case of an SS officer and Vatican official saving Jews, as for the abuse, the pope was more worried about the effect it had on the church, which they wanted to be seen as perfect, not about the victim, for gods sake they were aware what was happening and let it go on! Damn those pompous pigs.

I posted more or less what I said in my message number 8 on the BBC Point of View Message board. It was removed. I reposted, modifying the text so there was nothing inflammatory. There hadn't been anything inflammatory in the first post but I made it a liittle more bland. It was removed. I posted again wondering why my posts had been removed because I had not said anything that had not been covered in the programme. It was removed.

Big Brother is with us.