Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simon Amstell - The Man I love.
Thought I'd share this.

I've been a huge fan of stand up since I was a kid. This may be one of my favorite comedy specials ever. It's the first stand up special by a gay comedian who doesn't turn his sexuality into schtick, but talks about his relationships honestly and unapologetically, not remarking once about the novelty of being gay, but treating himself and his dilemmas as normal. That's progress!

He's also just incredibly funny, clever, insightful and philosophic.

Enjoy!

I'm sorry to inform you that he's spoken for. When I am not here I hang around outside his house (obviously before the court ruling). I don't know how things work in America but in our culture that means he's going to marry me (obviously when the court order expires).

Quite how Amstell's brand of North London Jewish angst comes across when written down in Turkish, I can't imagine. Perhaps if Rumble88 sees this he can tell us.

If you like his stuff look out for a series he wrote and played in called Grandma's House. A glacially slow sitcom that is excruciatingly funny. I was brought up catholic but I think cultural catholics have much in common with jews in the guilt and angst departments.

You'll almost certainly be aware that he chaired a panel show called Never Mind The Buzzcocks, episodes of which are all over youtube. He radiated a lot more confidence on that and was at times superbly bitchy.

In case my digression had caused it to slip your mind, he's marrying me.

Damn you Cardiganwearer and your perseverance against reality!!!

I am indeed aware of Grandma's House. I've tried to push it everyone I know. I've only seen the first series though, because it's on youtube, but I've watched it over and over. "Ben Theodore!"

Simon on Buzzcocks is weird to see. His persona is such a 180 from what appears to be his genuine self. I think he makes it clear though that his trademark "cruelty" comes from a place of self-defense. Still though, it's very funny.

The thing I love about Grandma's House is that Simon is the least funny character in the show. The cast that makes up his family and Clive (what kind of a name is Clive) are all comic geniuses. There are so many funny lines in that show, and they just drop them like they're nothing!

AUNTIE LIZ: Guess where I'm going.

SIMON: To get a before picture taken?

Ive seen him on stage. A very funny guy Smile

The Do Nothing DVD has me in stitches every time I see it.

ObW
X