Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Singer/songwriters
I suggested to Rychard that he start off a couple of new music threads, but he's passed the ball back to me. So here's the first one - singer/songwriters, songwriters who perform their own songs. For me there are so many, so I'll start things off with Sandy Denny, who composed some of the most beautiful songs and was a superb interpreter of English tradition. She not only worked as a soloist, but with The Strawbs, Fotheringay and, of course, Fairport Convention amongst her best known projects. Sadly she died far too early after an accident at home. Here is her song, One More Chance, which never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

Another favourite of mine is Listen, Listen

Probably her most well-known composition was "Who Knows Where the Time Goes"

I could just go on and on ... superb

While his personal life had all kinds of craziness his songs, guitar-playing and singing dripped skill, class and feel.
Solid Air - stunning live acoustic version with Danny Thompson on double bass.

I'd Rather Be the Devil - also originally from the Solid Air album, but a later live version omg!!!

May You Never - again I could have chosen so many songs, but this is probably his best known. I love this this beautiful sentiment. I think of PA every time I hear it Smile

Oh dear, that's three songs from Solid Air. Check out his others, or I'll just have to post more.

Another musician who just leaves me gaping in awe. How do I choose from his vast repertoire of stunning songs?
Beeswing

Dad's Gonna Kill Me - you'll need to have a think about these lyrics. I wonder what Ardus would make of this?

She Twists the Knife Again - unusual acoustic version of one of my favourites. This was the soundtrack to my marriage :eek: . You can hear the original electric version

I haven't seen him play for years, but I saw him many times in the 60s and 70s. Uncompromising songs. Where is he when we need him now?
I Hate the White Man - from the album Flat Baroque and Berserk, I learned this song, along with most of the others when I was an earnest teenager. It made me very uncomfortable to sing it, but it is a great protest song. "You are who you think you are".

When An Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease

The Lord's Prayer - many of his songs were very long and I found myself pulled into his world. This is a short extract from the beginning of one of them.

Again, so many songs I could have chosen. Maybe I should have included some of his more accessible ones but, then, it wouldn't be right to listen to Roy Harper without having to do at least a little work!

I suppose I ought to acknowledge there are some younger singer/songwriters out there!
I met this young Welsh man a couple of years ago. Very nice guy and I do enjoy a man who can manage a bit of live diy.

Which brings me on to KT Tunstall and a live version of Black Horse and the Cherry Tree

This is for my lesbian friend who follows Joan around and says she SO would Rolleyes

Apart from that Joan is a great singer and songwriter. That's one hell of a band she has with her this time too:
Love and Affection

Great start Marsh, there are so many to choose from. Here is my entry to this thread.

Simon & Garfunkel - Scarborough Fair

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (Live 1969)

Simon & Garfunkel - Sound of Silence

Simon & Garfunkel is my favourite American singer-songwriter duo, consisting of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel. Excellent music.

Interesting subject and thread...I like all kinds of music (well...not too much country & western or rap)...one of my favorites in Joni Mitchell...

Court and Spark is one of the 10 albums I would wish for on a desert isle if I could only take 10...my favorite songs are Twisted and Free Man in Paris but I have a special soft spot for "Help Me"....reminds me of a few of my early boyfriends

I friggin LOVE this song...and Phoebe Snow...have seen her perform many times...one of my favorites of all time...simply brilliant.