Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Singer/songwriters
My fault probably, but how come we have only had English language singer songwriters? Thomas Fersen is one of my favourite French song-writers. Clever words, which one day I may understand, great music and a fabulously charismatic performer. His band is pretty impressive too. They all change instruments for every song when they play live.
Croque

St Jean du Doigt

Meanwhile, next door in Belgium, I'm not sure there was ever a more passionate performer.
Amsterdam - arguably his most well-known song. Certainly it has been covered by many including Scott Walker, David Bowie, The Dresden Dolls, Ute Lemper and it's on the new Bellowhead album too ... and Florida ... Has Marc Almond done this one? Can you add others?

Ne Me Quitte Pas - not sure if I can listen to this without bursting into tears. It gets me every time.

Needle of Death - why did we all used to sing this so often in the folk clubs?

LOREENA MCKENNITT - THE MUMMERS' DANCE

"The Mummers' Dance" is a single by Canadian Celtic Singer Loreena McKennitt from the album The Book of Secrets in 1997. The song was a surprise hit in the United States, reaching no.3 in Adult Top 40, no.17 on the Hot Modern Rock Tracks chart and no.18 on The Billboard Hot 100.

The song is the theme song of the TV series Legacy. It was also featured in the trailer for the film Ever After, starring Drew Barrymore, and in the soundtrack of the Brazilian telenovela Corpo Dourado. The song was also made into a music video.

The song refers to seasonal Mummers Play performed by groups of actors, often as house-to-house visits.

marshlander Wrote:I was hoping someone would mention both of these. Neil Young is an extraordinary man. Which period Young do you like best?

I've always liked Neil young and I like his earlier work best. My father met him once in Sturgis, said he was a very down to earth and great guy.

Here are some great singers/song writers:

How could people have missed this one:

Oh I'm sure there are plenty we've missed, Wintereis! That's what this is all about, I hope.

Thanks for the Johnny Cash. I've not heard this song except for Leadbelly's version, which is yet another song I first came across, loved and sang frequently as a teenager. I'd forgotten all about it!

marshlander Wrote:Oh I'm sure there are plenty we've missed, Wintereis! That's what this is all about, I hope.

Thanks for the Johnny Cash. I've not heard this song except for Leadbelly's version, which is yet another song I first came across, loved and sang frequently as a teenager. I'd forgotten all about it!

hmmm, I had never heard that song by Leadbelly before. Thank you for introducing me to it. However, it is not the same song as the one by Johny Cash. The common phrase in each of them, that which seems to be confusing you, is actually due to the fact that Leadbelly and Cash are quoting the same book, the Bible. Here is the opening paragraph from Wiki's article on "When the Man Comes Around". As you can see, it was written for his American albums, the ones he recorded later in life to detail the history and various aspects of American music. As the Wiki article says below, it is one of the songs he personally wrote to include in the series. (All those southern boys and girls loved their Bible verses)

The Man Comes Around" is the title track from Johnny Cash's American IV: The Man Comes Around, released in 2002 (see 2002 in music). It is one of the last songs Cash wrote in his life. Of the album's fifteen tracks, only three were written by Cash, with "The Man Comes Around" the sole song specifically penned for it. Both sung and spoken, the song makes numerous Biblical references, especially from the Book of Revelation. The titular "Man" inferentially refers to Jesus Christ and the Second Coming.

I love Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire and I became an Adam Lambert Fan when I saw him do it on AI...I think Cash would have approved...It is a great song...