Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Singer/songwriters
Juliane Werding

Das Würfelspiel

Drei Jahre lang

Stimmen im Wind

Nebelmond

A name I suppose many have forgotten these days.

His first few albums all seemed to be about a single event of romantic betrayal, but when he found some other things to write about his songs really blossomed. Although he was from Glasgow originally and grew up in Dorset he spoke with a very odd accent I could never really place. He came and played for a little folk festival near where I lived when I was about sixteen. The students from the local Poly who misorganised the whole event ballsed up the timings so the authorities turned off the power to the stage not long into his set. He continued to everyone's delight playing a full set acoustically, when some of us lit him with torches until someone else drove a car round behind the audience and lit him with headlights.
On The Border

Bedsitter Images - early song from 1967 resurrected a lot more recently.

Multi-million selling French singer-songwriter. Another artist who has fought many demons to do what she does. Not relevant to her musical achievements, but interesting for trivia fans, she was married to Stephen Stills for a few years in the 1970s.

Amoureuse - beautiful song which was a UK hit for Kiki Dee, who sang it in an English translated version.

An extraordinary talent. This song comes from an album called Le Fil. In this case le fil, the thread, is a drone that plays non-stop through the whole set of fifteen songs. Contrary to what one might think it only serves to highlight how inventive she is. Here are a couple of songs from Le Fil in live performance.

Ta Douleur

Au Port

Lesbian song from MECANO: Une Femme Avec Une Femme
the group writes their own songs. It's in French but there is a version in Spanish too.
Mujer Contra Mujer

a live version in Spanish
Gracias a Anna Torroja

This song was the one that has been the most sung in the world in all sorts of languages, apparently (don't remember where I read that once, but apparently it's true). Claude François sings his own composition. He died electrocuted in his own bathtub.... silly household accident.
Claude François - Comme d'habitude
La version originale est de Claude François, la version anglaise de Paul Anka, reprise par Frank Sinatra et Elvis Presley, la version italienne a été interprétée par Claude François, la version espagnole a été reprise par Il Divo.
COMME D'HABITUDE (= as usual) - MY WAY (in the English version)

In that respect this page is quite interesting as it tells the genesis of this song, and gives about 7 different versions of lyrics for it.
My Way, Comme d'habitude - Claude François - paroles chanson & traduction LEXILOGOS >>

marshlander Wrote:Thanks, but you don't need to worry about me being confused Wink The musical similarities between Leadbelly's song and "The Man Comes Around" are too close to be coincidental, even if done unintentionally. Johnny Cash clearly used the rhythm and the lyrical idea, although he avoided using the melody by intoning the first line, as starting points for his song. The fact that he has gone on to make a much more complete working of the song by extending the verses and adding a balancing chorus to compose a substantially different finished product is down to his considerable skill as a songwriter and performer. Interestingly, this Wiki entry also refers to Leadbelly, but only goes as far as suggesting it is a "song of that name".

Had these two songs been recorded and released more recently (and had Leadbelly's financial circumstances been different) I would imagine the lawyers would have had to come to some kind of arrangement regarding acknowledgement of sources.

The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Confusedmile::mad::frown:Cry:biggrin::eek:

And as a reminder, thank you Mr. Guthrie, such insight and such simplicity . . . a great tradition, de profundis!

David Sylvian - I surrender

David Sylvian (born David Alan Batt, 23 February 1958, Beckenham, Kent) is an English singer-songwriter and musician

Lady Gaga is a pretty good songwriter and singer Big Grin